Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
15,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It opens, but won't close. It did this months ago and I bypassed the safety beams to no avail. It just started working a day later on it's own back then. Now, it just opens. I have to disconnect the link and close manually. Any ideas? THX

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
It opens, but won't close. It did this months ago and I bypassed the safety beams to no avail. It just started working a day later on it's own back then. Now, it just opens. I have to disconnect the link and close manually. Any ideas? THX

Will it close if you hold the wall button down and keep it held?

Modern openers normally will not allow you to bypass the safety beams.

·
Banned
7,331 Posts
Is it a Genie? They have a reputation for crappy circuit boards. I had multiple issues with two Genie openers in a row, warranty was worthless so I ditched them and bought a Chamberlain belt drive. Way better opener and no issues.

·
Banned
15,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Is it a Genie? They have a reputation for crappy circuit boards. I had multiple issues with two Genie openers in a row, warranty was worthless so I ditched them and bought a Chamberlain belt drive. Way better opener and no issues.
No wall button. It's an older Genie (at least 15 -20 yrs old), so I don't know what qualifies as modern.

·
Banned
6,536 Posts
Have you tried hitting it?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I know it sounds silly but you didn't recently change light bulbs in the opener to the new LED bulbs?

I did on mine and the opener would work great when the light was off but trying to put it down with lights on the LED bulbs were causing some kind of interference with the remote and it wouldn't work. Unscrewed the lights and it worked fine. Went back to incandescent bulbs which are getting harder to find and all is good.

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts

No wall button. It's an older Genie (at least 15 -20 yrs old), so I don't know what qualifies as modern.
Okay, a couple of thoughts. First of all, a side note:

Anything made after '93 has to have safety beams by law. Pretty much EVERYTHING out there now has active beam circuitry, meaning that if you bypass the beams (meaning that you unplug the beams, or cut the wire and just "wire around them" ), the opener knows something is wrong. About the only thing you can do (and it's a BAD FUCKING IDEA) is to simply put the beams right next to each other so the eyes make contact; I've seen people duct-tape them together and tape them to the opener. Again, a BAD idea.

Now, to your problem. If you had a wall button (and you should), you can test a few things.

IF you can make the door close only by holding the button down, that means you have a beam sensor issue. Typically, A) the beams are blocked by cobwebs or debris; B) the beams are knocked out of alignment; C) the beams are disconnected; D) the beams, beam wiring, or the opener circuit board have a problem.

On SOME openers, you can just use the remote button and hold it down, but not all brands will do this.

You can rig one up from junk you have lying around, most likely; it doesn't have to be anything special, just a momentary contact; you can even just cross a pair of wires. You can jump the wall button contacts with a screwdriver, BUT most people flinch when the opener kicks on and drop the screwdriver. :p

Okay...assuming that you rig up a button, hold it down, and the opener still doesn't close:

A) Check the door to make sure the tracks and rollers are okay, the spring(s) look intact, etc. You said you can close it by hand, so it's probably good, but check.

B) Disconnect the door opener link and put the door about halfway open. It should stay there, neither opening or shutting. This is a crude spring test.

C) If A & B are okay, then you probably need to increase the down force a bit. Most openers have two dials, one for up force, one for down force. Find the correct one and increase it one setting, or 1/8 turn if there are no markings.

My guess is that your beams are very close to being out of alignment, or dirty, but without the button test it's hard to say much more yet.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I can't say I have seen a Genie with out a wall button. Can you take a picture on the back of the opener where the wires are attached. Red and white should be push button and black and white should be photo eyes.

·
Banned
15,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know it sounds silly but you didn't recently change light bulbs in the opener to the new LED bulbs?

I did on mine and the opener would work great when the light was off but trying to put it down with lights on the LED bulbs were causing some kind of interference with the remote and it wouldn't work. Unscrewed the lights and it worked fine. Went back to incandescent bulbs which are getting harder to find and all is good.
It's light burned out yrs ago and I never changed it. My shop has tons of 8 foot lights.

·
Banned
15,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't say I have seen a Genie with out a wall button. Can you take a picture on the back of the opener where the wires are attached. Red and white should be push button and black and white should be photo eyes.
I have 2 genies in the shop with no wall buttons

·
Banned
15,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, a couple of thoughts. First of all, a side note:

Anything made after '93 has to have safety beams by law. Pretty much EVERYTHING out there now has active beam circuitry, meaning that if you bypass the beams (meaning that you unplug the beams, or cut the wire and just "wire around them" ), the opener knows something is wrong. About the only thing you can do (and it's a BAD FUCKING IDEA) is to simply put the beams right next to each other so the eyes make contact; I've seen people duct-tape them together and tape them to the opener. Again, a BAD idea.

Now, to your problem. If you had a wall button (and you should), you can test a few things.

IF you can make the door close only by holding the button down, that means you have a beam sensor issue. Typically, A) the beams are blocked by cobwebs or debris; B) the beams are knocked out of alignment; C) the beams are disconnected; D) the beams, beam wiring, or the opener circuit board have a problem.

On SOME openers, you can just use the remote button and hold it down, but not all brands will do this.

You can rig one up from junk you have lying around, most likely; it doesn't have to be anything special, just a momentary contact; you can even just cross a pair of wires. You can jump the wall button contacts with a screwdriver, BUT most people flinch when the opener kicks on and drop the screwdriver. :p

Okay...assuming that you rig up a button, hold it down, and the opener still doesn't close:

A) Check the door to make sure the tracks and rollers are okay, the spring(s) look intact, etc. You said you can close it by hand, so it's probably good, but check.

B) Disconnect the door opener link and put the door about halfway open. It should stay there, neither opening or shutting. This is a crude spring test.

C) If A & B are okay, then you probably need to increase the down force a bit. Most openers have two dials, one for up force, one for down force. Find the correct one and increase it one setting, or 1/8 turn if there are no markings.

My guess is that your beams are very close to being out of alignment, or dirty, but without the button test it's hard to say much more yet.
I'll go out and check.....pics

·
Grabbin em by the pussy!
1,778 Posts
Is the safety "eye" in the direct sunlight? Not sure about older models but new commercial Lift Master won't work if the eye is blinded by the sun. Hold button for five seconds and it will go down as long as you hold the button till it reaches bottom.

·
Banned
15,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Red/blk/white go to receiver, and the bundled white to the sensors. I don't see any up down adjusters. When I hit the clicker to lower the door a slight thud can be heard from the unit if that means anything. THX guys

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.