Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just closed on a place on Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville. The house has a small attached two car. I’d like to build a three car, max size I’m allowed is 1589 SF. I’m leaning toward brick with (3) 10’ doors and 12’ high walls.

At what length and widths do things start to get expensive vs a shorter span?

What is a ballpark estimate per SF? What should I expect to pay for a driveway, roughly 135’x12’?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your only allowed a 1589 garage ? sounds like you bought in the wrong place
I think size is limited by my house size. I’m not willing to add onto it. As far as the wrong place, time will tell, you could be right. It’s gonna be weird having a place in the city again.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shop, in brick, stick built, 50.00 a foot average. 12' walls add to that. Pole barn style,, 25.00 a foot. Driveway, 5.00 a foot average. Doors with openers, 1500 each. I'm in TN, and that's the going price.
What part of TN are you in? I’m cautiously optimistic about the new neighborhood. Seems like there are some motor heads in the area.

I built a similar garage in TX a few years ago and it came in at $55/sf. It was brick, with a stone face. I’d be happy in that range, but that assumes the contractors actually show-up…

·
0FKSGVN
1,585 Posts
What part of TN are you in? I’m cautiously optimistic about the new neighborhood. Seems like there are some motor heads in the area.

I built a similar garage in TX a few years ago and it came in at $55/sf. It was brick, with a stone face. I’d be happy in that range, but that assumes the contractors actually show-up…
West TN. Jackson area. 2-3 hours from there.

·
time to go racing yet ?
36,797 Posts
I think size is limited by my house size. I’m not willing to add onto it. As far as the wrong place, time will tell, you could be right. It’s gonna be weird having a place in the city again.
looks to people'ly to me.... but if its a decent area and stuff you just gotta go with it. im having a 4000 sq ft garage being built end of november buts its way out in the sticks.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks to people'ly to me.... but if its a decent area and stuff you just gotta go with it. im having a 4000 sq ft garage being built end of november buts its way out in the sticks.
I don’t know the area, but I like it so far. People seem ok. I thought I saw a sign for an engine builder down the street, and there’s a muffler shop just up the road from there.

I’m thinking 40-45 wide by 30 deep. I want to wall part off for painting cars. We’re down to 3 older cars, but I’d like one more. Maybe a 57 150 2 dr wagon…

My wife works in Nashville, and I work in the Tupelo area for at least another year, but not much longer. Hope to finish the house remodel and shop during that time.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Good luck in the new digs. There is a drag strip out RT. 43 south of Nashville I went to while working down there that seemed OK. Met a dude that worked at Butler which is right down the road

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck in the new digs. There is a drag strip out RT. 43 south of Nashville I went to while working down there that seemed OK. Met a dude that worked at Butler which is right down the road
Thank you. Is that a 1/4 mile track? Butler the Pontiac place? I’m on the fence between building my 57 Vette or picking something else to build a period correct car to take down the 1/4. My 62, which I sold, went 12.14 @ 115 on the original but rebuilt 327… i want to build something similar

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe it was 1/8th mike and yes Butler is THE Pontiac place.
I do not recall it being a sanctioned track but it was legit/ safe looking.
I dug Columbia for hanging out.
Thanks , I’ll have to check it out. I would stop at the Hucks in Jackson on my trips to an from TX during the move.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
your only allowed a 1589 garage ? sounds like you bought in the wrong place
I've been studying Tenn.... many areas have zero restrictions on what you build or store.... how you use your property.
I have a feeling shipping containers are going to get real cheap over the next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been studying Tenn.... many areas have zero restrictions on what you build or store.... how you use your property.
I have a feeling shipping containers are going to get real cheap over the next year.
The problem with buying into a big city like we did is that they have a lot of restrictions.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm in Hendersonville on the Indian lake peninsula side. I can't help you much on which way to build the shop, I'm sure your site will dictate that more than anything. I have friends that do dirt work, but I don't know anyone that does concrete or building construction. My friends probably know all the local builders though. PM me if you want their contact info. I have no idea on prices. I know people who have built shops in the last 10 years, but home related stuff has gone up so much in the last year, that there's no way to know what they are today.

Music City Raceway (locals know as "union hill") is the closest track and 1/8th mile. Beech Bend (1/4) in Bowling Green, KY is 1 hour away.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm in Hendersonville on the Indian lake peninsula side. I can't help you much on which way to build the shop, I'm sure your site will dictate that more than anything. I have friends that do dirt work, but I don't know anyone that does concrete or building construction. My friends probably know all the local builders though. PM me if you want their contact info. I have no idea on prices. I know people who have built shops in the last 10 years, but home related stuff has gone up so much in the last year, that there's no way to know what they are today.

Music City Raceway (locals know as "union hill") is the closest track and 1/8th mile. Beech Bend (1/4) in Bowling Green, KY is 1 hour away.
Thank you MeanMike. We drove our old 62 fro Burbank to race it at Beech Bend, then drove it back. I like Beech Bend.
I’ll send you. PM.

·
Trump is a LOSER!
1,097 Posts
I have family around there. They used to own Hubcap Annie's until a few years ago.

Watch out for a tightly wound guy named Jimmy Mann that drives a red GMC Typhoon that lives there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts