Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just freshening up an old 377sbc to use for my missus's car. Some street and strip.
Have never dynoed it, but should be around the 500hp mark. 10.7-1, 220cc rhs heads, solid roller cam, vic jnr.
Ring pack is 5/64, 5/64, 3/16. (old engine)

Have been waiting for a mth for a set of rings. I just had a conventional set of moly rings ordered. They turned up today and are Total Seal with a gapless 2nd ring.

After reading many different forums about gapless rings unseating the top ring(which made pretty good sense to me), I put the last sbc together with conventional top and 2nd at .022" ring gaps for both. This engine was 383 for skiboat, so it cops plenty of load and so far has performed faultlessly with no sign of blowby at all, despite only using std breather cap and pcv. Convinced me about gapless rings not being worth it.

My question is, should I just use to Total Seal rings as they should be installed?
And work on the theory that the insert in the 2nd ring will probably end up lined up with the gap anyway.(I pulled my KB hemi apart the other day, it had total seal 2nd ring and 4 were lined up after only 10 passes)

The other option I was thinking about is, I have a set of C&A zero gap 2nd rings(the one with a step in the end of the ring) left over from few years ago. Would they handle being set up as a top ring, then I could use the total seal 2nd rings in the 2nd groove. This would give 2 gapless rings and I feel that the C&A rings seal better, as they can't line up.

No, I don't want to sent the Total Seal rings back and re-order a conventional set, as that'll be another mth.

·
Registered
372 Posts
just use the total seals and install them as recommended. im assuming no vacuum pump?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm just freshening up an old 377sbc to use for my missus's car. Some street and strip.
Have never dynoed it, but should be around the 500hp mark. 10.7-1, 220cc rhs heads, solid roller cam, vic jnr.
Ring pack is 5/64, 5/64, 3/16. (old engine)

Have been waiting for a mth for a set of rings. I just had a conventional set of moly rings ordered. They turned up today and are Total Seal with a gapless 2nd ring.

After reading many different forums about gapless rings unseating the top ring(which made pretty good sense to me), I put the last sbc together with conventional top and 2nd at .022" ring gaps for both. This engine was 383 for skiboat, so it cops plenty of load and so far has performed faultlessly with no sign of blowby at all, despite only using std breather cap and pcv. Convinced me about gapless rings not being worth it.

My question is, should I just use to Total Seal rings as they should be installed?
And work on the theory that the insert in the 2nd ring will probably end up lined up with the gap anyway.(I pulled my KB hemi apart the other day, it had total seal 2nd ring and 4 were lined up after only 10 passes)

The other option I was thinking about is, I have a set of C&A zero gap 2nd rings(the one with a step in the end of the ring) left over from few years ago. Would they handle being set up as a top ring, then I could use the total seal 2nd rings in the 2nd groove. This would give 2 gapless rings and I feel that the C&A rings seal better, as they can't line up.

No, I don't want to sent the Total Seal rings back and re-order a conventional set, as that'll be another mth.

Not a big fan of the gapless 2nd ring.

Find a good napier 2nd.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh, i'm not keen on gapless 2nd ring anymore. I guess the best way would be a gapless top ring and conventional 2nd ring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts