Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has or does something to get " one-up " in life. Ways to get around paying fees for example. Or Calling to cancel service, so they offer a lower rate.

Thought I'd see what others do or have done.

Movies : My local theater recently started assigned seating. Now, you have to pick available seats when buying tickets. I was against it for a while, till I learned a trick. When buying seats I skip seats. Example:

3 tickets, Normally I'd pick " I3" "I4" "I5". Now I will buy "I3" "I5" "I7". Basically paying for 3 seats, but getting 5 actual spaces. Cause nobody gonna buy a seat between two taken ones.

TAX : I travel/drive a lot. I used to run the card at the pump and get a receipt. Now I go to the store and buy fuel. The trick is I buy WAY more than I'll pump. For example, I just pre-authorized $1000.00 and only pumped $45. I get a receipt for $1000 for fuel. Normally I pre-authorize $400 and actually use $80 or so. So, every week I get a $400 to $1000 fuel recept. ( Those that don't know, The funds get locked till you close the pump, then the funds are released less the actual pumped. ) I can basically get thousands a month in "legit" fuel receipts.

Cheaper Service: most services like Cable and Satellite, if you call and threaten to cancel, they will offer you a discount for a few months to keep you as a customer. I actually don't do this, cause I hardly spend $1000 mo between services I pay for. Like Satellite ( 2 homes and RV), Phones, XM and so on. But I've heard people use this as a way to save some coin.

So, what other tricks out there ?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
The threaten to cancel the cable bullshit cracks me up. Some of the longest and therefore most expensive customer interactions is the save. The more the company has to put into the save, the more it costs them. When the cost goes up, they pass it on to the consumer in inflated rates, which is a contributing factor in why you were quoted a ridiculous $150 a month in the first place.

Even funnier is the fact that the bastards are so willing to cut your annual rate by as much as 50%. If they can give you that big of a discount and still rake in the money hand over fist, they're obviously royally screwing everyone in the first place. Part of the reason why I quit that fuckery a decade ago.

·
Which is more disturbed?
10,577 Posts
Since when did negotiating become gaming the system

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Since when did negotiating become gaming the system

His gas receipts idea is not 'gaming the system' per se'. To me it falls in the same category as lying, cheating or stealing. I see no difference because he's claiming something that's simply Not True.

·
Which is more disturbed?
10,577 Posts
His gas receipts idea is not 'gaming the system' per se'. To me it falls in the same category as lying, cheating or stealing. I see no difference because he's claiming something that's Not True.
To me it sounds like tax fraud but everything else is just negotiating

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I can verify that after a $30 per month price hike,telling the cable company to terminate services immediately and demanding that they come get all their shit out of my house does yield a favorable response.:p

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I used to live about 200yards inside the communist state of NY.

I'd buy larger items that normally might needs to be delivered from PA (local places)
When delivering to NY they do not charge PA sales tax as the consumer is supposed to pay it when filing taxes...

Many of my receipts say free delivery or 1 dollar delivery charge....

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Wish I could afford to game the system, I only made $8000 last year ;)
If I wanted to be a real dick I'd apply for all the subsidies and hand outs for such a low income, but I would never do that.

·
Registered
16,085 Posts
Everyone has or does something to get " one-up " in life. Ways to get around paying fees for example. Or Calling to cancel service, so they offer a lower rate.

Movies : My local theater recently started assigned seating. Now, you have to pick available seats when buying tickets. I was against it for a while, till I learned a trick. When buying seats I skip seats. Example:

3 tickets, Normally I'd pick " I3" "I4" "I5". Now I will buy "I3" "I5" "I7". Basically paying for 3 seats, but getting 5 actual spaces. Cause nobody gonna buy a seat between two taken ones.

TAX : I travel/drive a lot. I used to run the card at the pump and get a receipt. Now I go to the store and buy fuel. The trick is I buy WAY more than I'll pump. For example, I just pre-authorized $1000.00 and only pumped $45. I get a receipt for $1000 for fuel. Normally I pre-authorize $400 and actually use $80 or so. So, every week I get a $400 to $1000 fuel recept. ( Those that don't know, The funds get locked till you close the pump, then the funds are released less the actual pumped. ) I can basically get thousands a month in "legit" fuel receipts.

Cheaper Service: most services like Cable and Satellite, if you call and threaten to cancel, they will offer you a discount for a few months to keep you as a customer. I actually don't do this, cause I hardly spend $1000 mo between services I pay for. Like Satellite ( 2 homes and RV), Phones, XM and so on. But I've heard people use this as a way to save some coin.

So you are cheating the IRS and/or your employer with your bogus fuel receipts, then explaining it all on the internet.

Not real bright are you....DA? You know Al Capone died in prison, for tax evasion. They couldn’t pin any of his murders on him......but the IRS screwed the fucker.

Keep yappin ya fool!!!!

·
Banned
420 Posts
I'll sometimes take 2 toothpicks from the restaurant so I can have an extra one in my truck for later if needed. Does that qualify???

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I usually go for the trans gender hookers when in need of a bj.
Their half the price for basically the same thing.

·
Mother Hen
50,085 Posts

Accountants are generally not stupid people and can figure that old gas trick out. There is something called forensic accounting and when they match those tickets to the bank drafts with the same code, boom.

·
Former RJ instigator
40,307 Posts
I clip coupons and check for weekly specials at the grocery store.

The sweet deal of the week' from the local radio stations, usually 50% off actual price of whatever the sweet deal may be.

Some restaurants on certain days have discounted menu items.

Prepay for gas ( gift card ) and get a .03 cent per gallon discount, (walmart, citgo, etc )

Accumulate shopper points for cheaper gas ( Kroger )

Buy in bulk ( Sam's Club, Costco ) and save a good bit.

Buy expensive items online and pay no tax if out of state.

Do it yourself and save a ass load of money, I do most all my own home repairs, car repairs and general up keep of my property.

Pay with cash rather than financing, this is especially true with big purchases, but not always doable.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I change car insurance every year, They raise it up after 12 months. I started with progressive, switched to geico then to AAA now I'm back to geico. And next year if they raise it I'll jump to something else. I pay $200 a month in California for a 5th wheel cyclone 4200 ,ram3500,tacoma and CRV.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts