Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...This winter I buy a jacket, pants, and neck brace for this year with all of it being black in color. I have worn the jacket 2 times and never the pants or neckbrace as my car has been down. I used the jacket driving a buddy's car, that is all.

Here is the problem: I decided to wash the jacket because it was hot out and figured what the heck I will wash the pants too, so the color stays the same. We just used normal liquid detergent with no fabric softner as per the tag. We got it out to air dry and the Mother F-r smells like rode kill that has been baking in the sun!! WTF??? It was washed all by itself in cold water. My wife decided to wash it again but this time use the "sanitize" cycle on the washer......same result! I hung that bitch up outside to get some air thinking maybe that would help but NOPE. 3rd wash she put in some fabric softner....same result!!!

Does this crazy smell have to do with the color of the dye??? all other laundry is normal...just this f-in fire suit!! WTF??? I asked a few buddies with other colors and they did have this problem.

I have even taken it to a laundry mat and used one of the heavy duty machines and still the same funk...

anybody have a guess???

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,049 Posts
I have their stuff, it's blue, and never had an issue washing it. Shoot them an email, they have always been very helpful.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
this is the washing/cleaning instructions for my RJS 3-2A/1 jacket

was before wearing with 1/2 cup white vinegar in high water level to set color

always wash jacket inside-out ,separately on gentle cycle in cold or tempid water with woolite,dreft ore ivory snow

do not use bleach or bleach detergents , enzyme cleaners ,fabric sofeners, stain removers ,strong detergents or soap

tumble dry on lowest heat settings until damp and hang dry (not in sunlight)

if dry cleaning ..... must inform your dry cleaner that suit is made of fire retardant materials

·
Registered
242 Posts
got mine new in jan this year and washed it once and it stunk bad.thought about buying a new one in a different brand!! hard to explain the smell,but it does stink!

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,032 Posts
u guys was them ??? have not washed my jacket in 6 yrs , pants , well i just got a new set becuase i got fat . lol

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
glad I am not the only one!!! Justin, that you? you guys got your car running badass!!

what color is yours? i sent them an email so i will let you know what they say.

Ken

·
Registered
840 Posts
Mine has an interesting smell but I havent washed it yet, so ill see what you guys find out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
yes its me,thanx ,we trying to get some gremlins worked out,should get faster in the future.my suit is black.let me know what they say,i am seriously thinking of getting a different brand!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE...

I called Jegs because I purchased this from them and told them the issues we are having. Jegs has a 1 yr return policy for NEW items. BUT, the operator talked to her supervisor and explained the situation......and he gave the OK for me to send it back for credit on some different gear!!!

I think I will be buying the Simpson pants and jacket this time.....not gonna deal with the same situation on another black suit.

She gave me the # to G Force 770-998-8855. they only have a 30 day return policy. I hope this helps for you guys!

·
Registered
840 Posts

·
PROUD AMERICAN WORKER!
7,416 Posts
got mine new in jan this year and washed it once and it stunk bad.thought about buying a new one in a different brand!! hard to explain the smell,but it does stink!
does it have that Chinese smell like wal mart? try RJS... Made in USA Too

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is black as well.

Did you even call G force to see what they say before returning the item?
No, I couldn't find their # on the website so I just called Jegs because I bougth from them. Jegs said they will take it back, and I don't want to have this hassle with a NEW black G force suit, which I will most likely have seeing how all the problems are with the black itmes.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Now I'm not positive on this but I will post what I think anyway, I believe the smell has something to do with the fire retardant process or the fabric not reacting well with the process. I wear fire retardant clothing to work everyday and my work shirts had the same smell as my fire jacket did for a month. Eventually the washing machine will wash out the smell, mine was not that strong to begin with though but i noticed it as well.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can tell you this...I wear a nomex flight suit everyday and you are right...it does have a distinct smell to it. .....BUT not like road kill! Also, if you wash it too much and use fabric softner it will get rid of all the flame retardant in the suit.

We exchange our uniforms when they start to fade from too many wash cycles. I cannot wear the brand new G force suit that I purchased due to the smell. maybe is has something to do with the chemicals in the retardant and the black dye.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts