Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size mini tubs are you guys using in the g-bodies and where are you buying them? This will be for a Max frame notch.

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
The g-body tubs are so oddly shapen that it is easier to build them with sheet metal than to buy something premade. I'm not aware of any company that makes a g-body specific mini-tub, which is what you would need to fit the odd shape. I have a max-notch also. The entire factory tub was cut out and sheetmetal was cut and bent to fit using cardboard templates.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Any more pictures of Tubs installed?? I am in process of Mini Tubing my car and any other ideas would be helpful also!

What is every one using to attach the tub to the inside of the 1/4 panel??

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.

TJ

·
Registered
664 Posts
The g-body tubs are so oddly shapen that it is easier to build them with sheet metal than to buy something premade. I'm not aware of any company that makes a g-body specific mini-tub, which is what you would need to fit the odd shape. I have a max-notch also. The entire factory tub was cut out and sheetmetal was cut and bent to fit using cardboard templates.

What did you do on the pass compartment side of the tub? Is it still stock or did you modify it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what i was looking for one that i could cut down to fit. Maybe someone should start making custom fit tubs prop would sell pretty good. I would also like to see some pics from the passenger area. Also are yall tacking them to 1/4 panel or just seam sealing them?

·
Registered
11,165 Posts
Thats what i was looking for one that i could cut down to fit. Maybe someone should start making custom fit tubs prop would sell pretty good. I would also like to see some pics from the passenger area. Also are yall tacking them to 1/4 panel or just seam sealing them?
You can't tack the tub to quarter panel without heating/burning the paint on the outside of car. Typically if car is already painted you'll just have to seam seal it....unless you attach the new tub to the already existing tub.

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
What did you do on the pass compartment side of the tub? Is it still stock or did you modify it?

Here is what the passenger side looks like, first shot is the cut out looking from the outside. The front of the car is to the left. Showing from this angle allows you to see the cut out in relation to the rear firewall, which is in the center of the picture. The second shot is with the mini-tub tin filled in and sealed, and third shot is with all the carpet and panels back in. And just like Sean said, you can't weld the tub to the 1/4 panels. Best thing to do is get the tightest fit you can, then caulk with Dap brand Sidewinder caulk on one side, let it dry, then caulk the other side. I probably used 5 or 6 tubes of the stuff on my car. Works great, stays flexible and won't crack. Cleans up easily with acetone or paint thinner.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also have a 1978 montecarlo,and want to mini-tub also,what are you guys doing to the hinges that hold deck lid? looks like you have to modify old hing to work??thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the tips and pics. I had a good idea how i was going to go about it but the pics have finalized what i want to do.

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
I also have a 1978 montecarlo,and want to mini-tub also,what are you guys doing to the hinges that hold deck lid? looks like you have to modify old hing to work??thanks for any help!!
Basicly, we just welded a strap of 1/8" steel to each side of the hinge and then cut the crescent shaped bottom off. I've seen nicer finished versions than mine, but mine works nicely and has the full range of movement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts