Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To celebrate the fact that we're about to begin working on a new 1-piece carbon fiber nose for 78-83 G-body Malibus, I'd like to offer free shipping (within the continental US) to the next two pre-sale buyers of this nose. This weekend only!! The nose will be $2500. Shipping would normally be anywhere from $250-400 depending on how far it's going.

Anyone interested can call Greg this weekend at 253-906-8126. The first three noses are already spoken for, so between the time it will take for mold work, and to make the first three noses, expect to wait about 7-8 weeks for yours.

The nose will be stock dimensions based on the early style 78-80 single-headlight design with a narrowed front bumper smoothed into the nose and a chin spoiler. See picture below for an idea of the design. The picture below shows a second spoiler under the bumper spoiler, that piece is not included.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The nose will require a tree for mounting just like any other 1-piece nose, but it will allow the use of a stock grille and stock headlight buckets. Those two areas will come blocked off, but are simple to be trimmed out by the buyer.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Greg, interested in hearing the final weight of this front end.

Also, do you or anyone else have any weights of comparable fiberglass front ends from say Glasstek or VFN to compare?

Oh yea, is a hood included in the front end price? Flat flange on the front end to allow hood to dzus fasten on/off?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg, interested in hearing the final weight of this front end.

Also, do you or anyone else have any weights of comparable fiberglass front ends from say Glasstek or VFN to compare?

Oh yea, is a hood included in the front end price? Flat flange on the front end to allow hood to dzus fasten on/off?
As far as the final weight goes, we can make it as light as you want. Weight is only a matter of layup technique. Heck, we could make it 10 pounds, but it would be very flimsy. Our stuff tends to be a pound or so heavier than the very lightest stuff out there just because we use a very thick gel coat surface on our parts that saves our customers ALOT of money on finish body work. What we add in gel coat, weight-wise, is what you save in bondo from the other guys stuff. And you'll save a lot of money not paying your painter to fix the part and make it straight because it comes beautiful and straight, right out of our molds. I think we'll be somewhere around 20 pounds finished, but I've seen other flimsy Malibu noses as light as 15, so we could end up closer to that.

Most glass front ends are in the 35-40 pound range for this sort of car.

$2500 is the price for the 1-piece nose. A pin-on hood is $1200, so a nose and hood price would be $3700. And yes, the nose will come with a flat flange around the inside of the fenders for easily mounting the hood.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
As far as the final weight goes, we can make it as light as you want. Weight is only a matter of layup technique. Heck, we could make it 10 pounds, but it would be very flimsy. Our stuff tends to be a pound or so heavier than the very lightest stuff out there just because we use a very thick gel coat surface on our parts that saves our customers ALOT of money on finish body work. What we add in gel coat, weight-wise, is what you save in bondo from the other guys stuff. And you'll save a lot of money not paying your painter to fix the part and make it straight because it comes beautiful and straight, right out of our molds. I think we'll be somewhere around 20 pounds finished, but I've seen other flimsy Malibu noses as light as 15, so we could end up closer to that.

Most glass front ends are in the 35-40 pound range for this sort of car.

$2500 is the price for the 1-piece nose. A pin-on hood is $1200, so a nose and hood price would be $3700. And yes, the nose will come with a flat flange around the inside of the fenders for easily mounting the hood.
Thanks for the reply Greg. I really like the fact that your setting it up to allow the use of a stock grill and headlights/bezels.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply Greg. I really like the fact that your setting it up to allow the use of a stock grill and headlights/bezels.
Yes, and the factory grill will be able to be used with or without cutting the carbon fiber out behind the grill, making for a nice air block off if the owner chooses to leave the carbon there. We also plan to offer 3-4 different length air dams under the bumper as well.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
looks sweet!

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After six long weeks of sculpting, shaping, sanding, sanding, and more sanding....the nose is finally all polished up and ready to build the mold from.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Looks awesome!

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
First one out of the mold. Some minor issues with it, but a good, usable, paintable piece. It's a couple pounds heavier than I wanted it to be, but it is extremely rigid. Final weight is 21 pounds.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.