Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got a street gbody(particularly a 87 cutlass) with angle plug heads and headers and the heater box? What headers are you using?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I had the Hooker 1 3/4" that had a tube around the frame and didn't care much for them.

Hooker can make a 2" BBC header and get all the tubes inside the frame, but they can't do that with 1 3/4" for a sbc? WTF???

There's gotta be better choices than that. I hear the Shoenfeld's are nice for the money, worth looking into.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I had the Hooker 1 3/4" that had a tube around the frame and didn't care much for them.

Hooker can make a 2" BBC header and get all the tubes inside the frame, but they can't do that with 1 3/4" for a sbc? WTF???

There's gotta be better choices than that. I hear the Shoenfeld's are nice for the money, worth looking into.

I have had 1 5/8" and 1 3/4" Hookers and ABSOLUTELY HATED both of them. I wouldn't recommend those to anyone.
My current Schoenfelds fit pretty good but they clearly state that they will not work with the heater box.

The best fitting set I have ever had and WITH the heater box was a set of $89.99 Hedman headers. For a mainly street car I would gladly go with a set of those again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
hedman hustlers. you need to call up and specially order them for angle plug heads. the regular header will not support angle plug heads

·
Confused Racer
40,852 Posts
I had shoenfields on my SBC cutlass with AFR 210 heads. 1 7/8th' all tubes in the frame. pretty cheap to

·
pist'n Broke
20,939 Posts
i dont know of any fitting angle plug heads and heater box.... i had hooker s/c 1-3/4 with angle plugs, but no heater box..i think the box would be in the way of the tube that goes outside the frame

the shoenfields look like they would fit better there all inside the frame...

·
pist'n Broke
20,939 Posts
this might give u a idea how tight the hooker sc 1-3/4 are...plenty of room to get to plugs, except the driver side u will need to use a wrench on the socket...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This amazes me also! Slimbo5 on Maliburacing sent me pics of his setup. He is using Hedman husslers 65218 and it looks like that might be my only choice.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a brand new set of Schoenfelds but as stated they will not work with the heater box.Anybody interested in them let me know!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
best g body header hands down are the hedman huslers for a small block.. 65218 for 1 3/4 and 65219 for 1 7/8. plenty of header clearance to the heater box and all tubes inside the frame with good plug access.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Now this a question that I have been wondering about the Schoenfeld headers.... they state that they will not clear the "AC box"....... the question I have is will it clear the VERY RARE "heater only box" that came on a few cars? If so, G-Body parts.com has a reproduction "heater only box" available now.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I did a test fit on my 81 Malibu with the heat only box and it looks like it will fit with no problem. When I called Schoenfeld they did say that its a no go with AC but they didnt have an answer on the heater setup. Put a post on maliburacing. You'll have plenty of answers before the nights over.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have Schoenfelds 1 3/4 on my car they fit angle plugs and my non a/c heater box. Best header I have had yet.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
i've had stahls on 2 g-bodys, all tubes inside the frame, no clearance issues with heater box, can even take the starter off without removing the headers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts