Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m just getting started on a ladder bar back-half on my buddy’s G-body Monte.
The car runs well, really well, on stock suspension but after some parts breakage, he wants to upgrade it.
I’m going with a moly tube back-half, 32” ladder bars And adding some more bars to the cage as needed.

Little back story...
This car started out with just a 6pt MS roll bar by a backyard hack and it’s been to 2 other shops for “upgrades” to a 10pt cage as well as adding more bars and a mini tube/frame notch as it got faster.

Started this weekend with getting the car leveled and dropping reference points off the chassis and suspension onto the floor, checking measurements to make sure it’s square, then snapping lines from all the points I made.
I made some rigid supports, welded to the frame and anchored them down to the floor to make sure that the car won’t move.

After removal of everything in the trunk and interior, the cutting begins.
Trunk floor and floor pan up to behind the driver seat. Wheel tubs Are almost completely cut out at this point as well.

Now here comes the good stuff.
The rear bars off the main hoop, were welded to 6x6 plates in the trunk. The plates were right over the frame but not attached to it.
While cleaning up from the demolition thus far, I noticed the main hoop, (which is welded to the floor), does not pass through the floor to the frame! No plates under the hoop either!

I haven’t given him a set price on the job but I’m tracking all my time and materials on this to settle as it progresses but as a buddy of mine used to say, “the price of coochie just went up”

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I have a G body. It is a wheel stander over 700 HP. It has a S&W ladder bar back half. Not much options as far as intersect point. Sure would have been a better tune-able car if it was a 4 link. S&W 4 link back half is not much more than ladder bar. Just my experience.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plan for the car is some local no time and grudge events.
4-link would put it out of the no time races.

Got the rest stripped out today including the frame.
Dash is out so a proper dash bar now in and I ran some bars forward thru the firewall to tie in the front of the frame to the cage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts