Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The huge push toward alternative fuels, hybrid cars, and other BS has me thinking of the future of gasoline. Obviously, it remains immensely popular, perhaps because the supply system/infrastructure is already in place, and perhaps because it's just a really excellent fuel. But if sales of gasoline-powered cars drop over time like the environmentalists are hoping they will, what will happen to gasoline prices and availability? More specifically, what about racing gasoline? Will it continue to be widely available and not prohibitively expensive, or will it become a specialty niche fuel and cost a fortune like VP C25?

·
time to go racing yet ?
36,807 Posts
ya know i always tought about this also . but gasoline will almsot never go away . actually hard to belive just a bit over 100 years ago it was hard to get . it will deffenitly be an intersting thing in the next 10 years i bet .

heck i remember seeing a show about a guy who developed an engine that operated just on air . i would like to see something like this take off and progress

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like to try to learn from history whenever possible, so I tried to think of a similar situation in the past; I came up with coal and wood burning locomotives. Intensive maintenance requirements, not fuel, were their downfall. A few of them are still around, and so are wood and coal, but those fuels require less processing than gasoline. On the other hand, they still have to be harvested (cut down or mined), and that is still going on. I don't think wood is burned commercially anymore, but lots of people cut their own wood and burn it. Coal is still widely used in electricity generation, so maybe that's why it's still available for the few remaining running steam locomotives.

Will gasoline still be used for anything once "alternative fuels" supplant it as a transport fuel? Maybe in aviation?

·
Another Nobody
11,807 Posts
.... I don't think wood is burned commercially anymore, but lots of people cut their own wood and burn it.
wood is making a comeback in heating of green houses here locally, It is cheaper than oil and gas. Many operators are heating with shredded pallets and what ever they can find and shred. with automated systems of today it is less work but still requires some human interaction with the boiler.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Well

I look at it this way, according to the supply and demand laws spewed from the mouths of the oil companies, the more demand...the higher the price. So if this push does lower gas consumption dramatically, who believes these assclowns will lower the price?

I don't.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
It's never going to be gone totally, at least in our lifetime. But I wonder when usage is down, and they have pretty much set themselves up for that now, if anyone will look back and realize just what an assraping these bastards were doling out?

Bring on the damn plug in electrics! I hope the phuckers reap what they sew! Of course Chevrolet is really helping the situation, they bring out the VOLT in 2010...and price it out of range for the people that need to buy one. What a bunch of dumbasses. Once again, they totally missed the mark. Nothing new there though.

I guess they figure if they come out with an electric car that some people may actually like the look of, they have to bend people over for it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I heard the electric cars batteries keep blowing up, and they have to fix that problem first. I also heard the maintanence on the electric cars is pricey, like the batteries. Hybrids save you in gas, but I think taking it to the shop would take car of the money you save on gas. I've thought about gas basically becoming weeded out through time. The first thing that comes to my mind is Mad Max. But I don't think that'll ever happen in my lifetime, where theres money in something, somebodies producing it.

·
T/S 368E
35,375 Posts

Ethanol will be the race fuel of the future. 100% man made in America. I would bet the E-100 transporting issues will be removed within 10 years. nascar, indy already are using it IIRC, we will be next.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
I can't believe how easily people get sucked into this Environmentalist Crap! Gasoline will Never go away! Try flying a 747 on E85???

No need, they run on Kerosene. If it is A, if it is B it's a kersoene, naptha blend.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can buy forged cranks for flatheads today. I wouldnt worry about gasoline.
Good point, but lots of other things are forged from steel, so it's not that big a deal to make a forged crank for a flathead. Transportation and racing are the only uses of gasoline that I know of, and if it falls by the wayside as a transportation fuel, will race gas cost too much for me to afford?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Try flying a 747 on E85???
They have use it in military planes and found it works better. In fact they used it during a dog fights because it burns so cold, they would switch over to the Ethanol because the heat seeking missiles had a lack of heat to trace and would just fly away.

Its a much better fuel then gas, not only for the engine but also the planet. The problem is the bone heads in our Government are making it with the wrong materials, corn is a bad start for Ethanol as it makes very little per acre, switch grass or cat tails will make about 10 times as much per acre of crops.

Other people complain about it being subsidized, I ask them, how much have we spent just on this war alone 600 or more billion, so the oil can keep coming, how about that for subsidized fuel.

Other countries use Ethanol as a man source of fuel, why doesn't the USA, because of the money that would stop going into the politicians ( or thieves) hands, thats why.

·
T5 & T56 building fool
25,285 Posts
I don't see gasoline getting any harder to find but it might get a lot more expensive if the environuts start imposing huge fees for producing it .

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I honestly believe bio diesel is the future of the auto industry no inferstructure needed because you can use the pumps we have today. And just like we recycle plastics and metals. There will be designated places to dump tree cutting and such plus all the organic waste from paper companies will be utilized. If you own a diesel today you can run biodiesel done right. And for older diesel the only thing I have heard it effects are rubber fuel lines.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Try flying a 747 on E85???
They have use it in military planes and found it works better. In fact they used it during a dog fights because it burns so cold, they would switch over to the Ethanol because the heat seeking missiles had a lack of heat to trace and would just fly away.

Its a much better fuel then gas, not only for the engine but also the planet. The problem is the bone heads in our Government are making it with the wrong materials, corn is a bad start for Ethanol as it makes very little per acre, switch grass or cat tails will make about 10 times as much per acre of crops.

Other people complain about it being subsidized, I ask them, how much have we spent just on this war alone 600 or more billion, so the oil can keep coming, how about that for subsidized fuel.

Other countries use Ethanol as a man source of fuel, why doesn't the USA, because of the money that would stop going into the politicians ( or thieves) hands, thats why.
The environmentalist whackos have you sucked in big time...HOOK, LINE, & SINKER!!!
The war wasnt/isnt over fuel...there was over 3500 Americans killed in the world trade center bldgs. We took it to them,,,,earth to dadnova, earth to dadnova....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts