Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a cat with long fur, and it has matts on it down to the skin. Any easy way (on the cat at least) to get these out?

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
27,747 Posts
Nope, Scissors and patience.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm a little ashamed to admit I know this due to the feline owner's perception here on YB, but the best way to get them out is to not let them get there in the first place (weekly brushing). If he matts up real quick, and he is just one big mat that starts from the skin out, it could be a symptom of kidney(?) failure(I think). Otherwise, there are tools out there that will work with some effort, but the best way is to take him to the groomer and get him a lion cut a couple of times a year; you'll get a few laughs out of that also.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a little ashamed to admit I know this due to the feline owner's perception here on YB, but the best way to get them out is to not let them get there in the first place (weekly brushing). If he matts up real quick, and he is just one big mat that starts from the skin out, it could be a symptom of kidney(?) failure(I think). Otherwise, there are tools out there that will work with some effort, but the best way is to take him to the groomer and get him a lion cut a couple of times a year; you'll get a few laughs out of that also.
Yeah, I know. I slacked off a little, and it got away from me.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I thought rubbing baby oil in matted hair with your fingers untangles matted hair. Maybe a wise tail as I never had a cat.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Here's Maui after her first haircut; when we adopted her, she was 3, and I'll bet she hadn't been brushed or cut for years; wife said she stank, but I couldn't tell. She smells so good now that Fenix doesn't know who she is.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Fenix has never seen a shaved pussy...;)

·
Registered
21,119 Posts
Be really careful with scissors, especially if the mats are against the skin. Cat's skin is like tissue paper and really easy to pull up and cut with the mat. You think he doesn't like it now?

We have 3 Maine Coons and I use small clippers on mats now if they get them, even then you can catch their skin at times if not careful. We've food conditioned ours to appreciate brushings and at least be still if they need clipping.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
X2, I cut one of my cats pretty good right behind his head once cutting mats out, thankfully they dont have many nerve endings back there and he never even wimperd. As was stated brushing and bathing to prevent it, and I have never found a way beside cutting them out once they get wadded up. Diet may also have a profound affect on them getting matted in the first place, check with your vet on online. some species are more prone than others.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Do you have a humidifer in your home? They make a LOT of difference on a cat's fur; keeping them from matting.
Many years ago, we had a big, white Persion male cat. He got all matted up - probably five inches across on his hips.
That cat would lay still and let me cut them off with a stitch ripper (ask you mother what that is). I wouldn't
recommend it. There isn't another cat that patient, anywhere. DON'T USE SISSORS! I tried that. Cut a dime-size hole
in his skin. Funny thing, though; it healed up (closed) in just a couple days. Amazing animals if you can tolerate them.

·
YB Managing Editor
51,144 Posts
I agree with everyones advice. But one thing you must not do is try to get the mats completely out in one brushing or combing. When the cat has had enough let em go and try again later. You'll thank me. Hehheheh. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Dr. Greenthumb
2,659 Posts
I have a maine Coon mix. Im pretty sure thats what he is anyway. Looks just like this except his fur is about 3/4 this length. http://www.catfacts.org/maine-coon-cat-facts-2.jpg
We found him in a storm drain when he was just weened. I use my ol' ladys conditioner on him. lol It helps alot. It wont get out real bad ones, but the smaller ones it dont hurt him nearly as bad when I brush them out it seems. You could probably use human detangler on it too. Just make sure you rinse them REALLY good. So their not eating the stuff.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have cut them out with scissors but I didn't try to get close to the skin.

The best thing I have found is a comb sold by the vet called the Furmigator. Bought it for my Australian Shepherd but the cat absolutely loves it. Just comb her gently with it. Seems to remove the undercoat better than anything else I have found.

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
Some of those gadgets aren't actually removing loose fur, but cutting it. Look to see if it has a blade. People are fooled into thinking their new fuminator or whatever is doing a better job than their other combs and brushes because they see more hair coming out. Well, yeah, the thing is cutting hair!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts