Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Funny cars and Top Fuel dragsters.What does ths crew chief do once the cars are staged.What does he adjust? I notice that the crew chiefs look at each other and nod once they are staged.Why? I know the driver does something with the fuel after the burnout. I just can't remember !!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
They remove the throttle stop in the linkage after the burnout. Then they remove tape over holes in the hat to control idle speed. Usually the driver puts the fuel system into the high side before staging. They don't run as much fuel through on the burnout.

·
Registered
78 Posts
right before the car is staged the crew chief is watching the the idle speed and the gallons/min. the barrel valve is set at. usually in the 3.5 to 4 gallons a minute at idle. once they
are both ready they increase the idle approx. 100 rpms to 2600 or higher, then increase the fuel consumption to 5 gal/min. or so. after that they motion the driver into the
beams and step away.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The change in idle along with the raw fuel running out the pipes happens when the driver opens the shutoff on the second pump........:cool: JB

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
RE: Funny cars and Top Fuel dragsters.What does ths crew chief do once the cars are staged
(Once the car is staged know one can touch the vehicle)

. I notice that the crew chiefs look at each other and nod once they are staged.Why?
(It's a crew chief to crew chief courtesy. Means they are both ready.)

I know the driver does something with the fuel after the burnout. I just can't remember !!
(Like said, they turn on the second pump, you can hear it in the engine sound when the second pump comes in)
See above
Blessings.................Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts