Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Folks,

For those of you who are bracket racing with a funny car cage in a door car...what's your visibility like? If you had it to do over, would you do it, or go without the FC cage?

And lastly, for those of you who CAN see ok with yours...what's the distance from your main hoop to the front of your funny car cage? Trying to get a ballpark on where the front hoop would work best as far as protection vs visibility.

Have to make some chassis additions over the winter, and contemplating a FC cage in mine, but don't want to jack up visibility from the seat any more than absoloutely necessary.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Personally I would never install a FC cage unless it’s mandatory. They’re a pain to work and see around.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I may be missing something but if your car wasn't fast enough to warrant one per NHRA rules I don't know why you would want one. They seem like they would limit visibility big time and getting in and out of the car looks like it would be a pain. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have a funny car in my door car, started as a hoop a long time ago and as i got faster , evolved into a FC cage. Pretty funny watching my old ass get in and out. If I could get away with a swing bar........... It has no bearing on my ability to see.

·
Registered
16,925 Posts
I may be missing something but if your car wasn't fast enough to warrant one per NHRA rules I don't know why you would want one. They seem like they would limit visibility big time and getting in and out of the car looks like it would be a pain. Just my 2 cents.
Agree. I’ll take it a step further. If the car is fast enough to require a fc cage(25.x), he has a much bigger job ahead of him than adding a fc cage. Also, the specs determine where the fc cage goes based on where your helmet is.

·
Registered
16,700 Posts
Agree. I’ll take it a step further. If the car is fast enough to require a fc cage(25.x), he has a much bigger job ahead of him than adding a fc cage. Also, the specs determine where the fc cage goes based on where your helmet is.
If your car/ et does not require a FC cage but you have one anyway does your helmet placement still effect the placement of the FC cage? In other words....if a car only runs 11's but it has a FC cage does it matter where you sit ( within reason) in relationship to the FC cage.

·
Registered
339 Posts
all these replys are very good. but at the same TIME, if you are bracket racing ,, you are a 10.50 car and you are up against a 6.70 dragster or a 7.35 top sportsman car catching you at 200 plus mph. and accidents happen you will be glad you have the extra protection . just my thoughts .

·
T/S 368E
28,951 Posts

The F/C cage is a great safety feature, and that is way way more important than trying to be an owl!!!
Plus the neck restraint doesn't help for doing the Exorcist maneuver going down the track!!!

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,868 Posts
If your car/ et does not require a FC cage but you have one anyway does your helmet placement still effect the placement of the FC cage? In other words....if a car only runs 11's but it has a FC cage does it matter where you sit ( within reason) in relationship to the FC cage.
Not having it in the correct place in relation to your head would defeat the purpose of having one, wouldn't it? Why even use it if you're not going to use it properly? I surely wouldn't want my helmet too far forward, for example. The cage may not contain you any longer. If your shoulders are even with the front edge of the cage, it's not going to be very effective, IMO.

·
T/S 368E
28,951 Posts
Not dying is counter productive?

EXACTLY. I have 4 cars, all completely different levels.
I would never line up next to a pro car in my street legal car, it would be an accident waiting to happen.

I wasn't happy when I lined up with a 5.90 car in my 8.50's car.
Then exactly what I was worried about happened, it blew up, caught fire.
Of course it launched so hard, it still ran a 7 something on fire, and my little 8 second car was no where near it.

·
Registered
16,700 Posts
Not having it in the correct place in relation to your head would defeat the purpose of having one, wouldn't it? Why even use it if you're not going to use it properly? I surely wouldn't want my helmet too far forward, for example. The cage may not contain you any longer. If your shoulders are even with the front edge of the cage, it's not going to be very effective, IMO.
thanks for NOT answering my question. Years ago (maybe still) if you had a roll cage in your 14.00 second car NHRA sill required you to have a window net even though a roll cage was not needed till 9.99. That was the "spirit" of my question post #7 when I asked the question about post#6

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It wouldn't matter where anything is placed in that scenario but the car would only cert to what it's legal to (ie 8.50). I've seen 7.50 cars get recerted and knocked down to 8.50 because the FC bar was too far back and the only difference was the 2 different chassis inspectors.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,906 Posts
thanks for NOT answering my question. Years ago (maybe still) if you had a roll cage in your 14.00 second car NHRA sill required you to have a window net even though a roll cage was not needed till 9.99. That was the "spirit" of my question post #7 when I asked the question about post#6
That is because the tech inspectors didn't know how to read!

I had to teach them that if a cage WAS REQUIRED then so was a WINDOW NET!

If I chose to put a cage in a car that may only have required a roll bar, maybe so slow it didn't require that either, did not mean it has to also have a window net. I was given a pass one weekend for this "infraction" for having a full cage in my 11.30 ride. The next weekend he informed me that I was correct...............

·
Registered
68,341 Posts
No issues with the one in my Beretta. If built right, it's not an issue.

My .02

1 - 20 of 33 Posts