1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
repost....but still cool

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
True 50 taper 5 axis machines are amazing as to what and how fast they can remove material. The only problem with owning one is actual cost of one. A quality 50 taper 5 axis designed for heavy material removal and 24/7/365 production runs in to the millions of dollars range with all software, tooling and skilled personel to support it. That helmet would have to sell for $1000s of dollars to justify the costs of producing it. But still cool!

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
Shit, give me a few minutes, and I'll knock one out with a dremel tool.....NOT. Dayum, thats some programming.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
looks like the engine block i just got from Chuck Nuytten gutted like a fish lol.
Mori seiki make a killer 7 axis machine for about 400 g's but its only a 40 taper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wonder long of a cycle that was with all the 3-d cutting it was doing. I also wondering how many they crashed it before they figured out. Them were some long tools not to be chattering.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
looks like the engine block i just got from Chuck Nuytten gutted like a fish lol.
Mori seiki make a killer 7 axis machine for about 400 g's but its only a 40 taper.
50 taper=150% more material removal than the 40 taper. The tolerances that can be held with a 50 are amazing considering the material removal rate. But theyre pricey as anything youll find!

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
I wonder long of a cycle that was with all the 3-d cutting it was doing. I also wondering how many they crashed it before they figured out. Them were some long tools not to be chattering.
If you look closely the smaller tool is tapered which helps alot when using the extended holders.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Very cool, whats the price run on one of them 50's?
Around $750 for a small one, upwards of 5 million for the largest with every option and tooling availible. The small Okuma we had for doing the medical implant knees was about 1.2 with all the tooling and support

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Wow!!! I can program basic stuff on a standard 3 axis Haas, but nothing even close to that..

I sure miss running and programming stuff.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Wow!!! I can program basic stuff on a standard 3 axis Haas, but nothing even close to that..

I sure miss running and programming stuff.
Im good with 3 & 4 axis and simple 5 axis positional programming also. But programming a true 5 axis is rough. Some of the best programmers I know have alot of trouble and are VERY slow getting it done and it takes tons of revisions also.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Thats a demonstration of 5 axes RTCP programming in which the tool maintains perpendicular to the programmed path..... which that portion is actually managed by the CNC itself, the tool path itself was undoubtly created via their preferred cad/cam program.

They add the RTCP modal G-code command at the beginning of the program and then execute, hence it is at that point the CNC manages all the axes in keeping the tool perpendicular to the programmed path...... it takes a lot of CNC processing speed to accomplish this at the feedrates they were going as well as some powerful servos..... the RTCP CNC feature in itself is not cheap.

Whoever said that machine is a million bucks is probably about right..... thats a DMG machine, made in Germany, top of the line machine and it isn't cheap......

1 - 20 of 39 Posts