Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I have a SN95 which is going pretty quick now.
The diff has all the good gear and is working well.
went 1.23 in the 60 and 7.34 at the other end on a 10 inch tyre.
May be worth getting a floater for it.
Anything out there ?
it has 33 spline axles in it now.
I tried searching but couldn't really find anything.
Don't really want to go 9 inch as I am not sure what the benefits are.

Happy to listen to any opinions :)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Check with DMC Racing. I want to say they had done a floater 8.8" at one time for Big Daddy. By the time the work is done I bet it will be the same cost to go 9", but it would be worth checking I suppose.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Check with DMC Racing. I want to say they had done a floater 8.8" at one time for Big Daddy. By the time the work is done I bet it will be the same cost to go 9", but it would be worth checking I suppose.
Joey Gambino @ Joey Gambino precision racecars did the Floating 8.8 for Big Daddy and Alex V.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How fast was that car going ? approx ?

Don't really know what the benefits ( if any ) are for going a 9 inch.
The only thing I can think of is pro gears, as I presume I will kill std street style gears anyway.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a std wheel tub car, aftermarket arms in std mount locations and std mounts.
it has coil overs on the diff behind the diff.
The diff is std length.
Runs a 10 inch wide tyre with 28 x 10.5 tires.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Reason I ask is I would start to wonder what the sheer limits are on the stock tubes? If you went to a true 4 link or ladder then you could use the Explorer housing as a core, there is NO way your going to sheer those tubes lol. But to do a FF conversion isn't that big a deal imo in terms of the work involved. Not all that different to swapping housing ends.

Heck I use FF 1 ton truck ends to make trailer axles. Works great and comes with hydraulic brakes built in with cheap and tough and best of all, long lasting OEM parts available :cool: Anyways not to sidetrack

Whats the power levels where guys switch to FF axles anyways?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The tube isn't the reason for full floater (FF) hubs. The FF is for a issue of breaking a axle at the flange and lose everything from that point out and it goes sailing off where it wants, and the car goes off in another direction on 3 wheels rather than the 4 it was intended to be on.

The FF keeps the tires on the car and brakes in the event a axle breaks at the flange end.

You can put FF on anything you want.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
^ The Mustang 8.8 tubes are not overly beefy.... and I wondered whether the tube, or the pressed bearing type axle is the weaker link is all? Anyone snapping 35 spline axles at the bearing end out there? Anyone twisting tubes out of Mustang housings out there?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts