Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When adding a sump to the tank you do not cut out a large hole matching the perimeter of the manufactured piece approximate size of 11'' x 5 '' . Four one inch holes will supply ample fuel and also act as a baffle . I'm not convinced using the sump as return line wont cause turbulence along with returning hot fuel near the pickup line.
classracer is on my ignore list now !!! For those that are curious of what motor is in my Chevelle it's a pump gas friendly 11 to 1compression 509cid , AFR290cc , Comp 260 - 266 , .732 - . 725

Too those that have contributed knowledgeable info thank you :)

·
Registered
23,033 Posts
Returning it to the sump just makes the pump work harder , especially under acceleration . Think about it ......

The larger the return line , the less pressure in the line , so less aeration when returning it to the top of the tank . If your not using a dip tube .

Ive never had an aeration issue returning fuel to the top of the cell , and thats with 2 A1000 pumps . -10 return

·
Registered
650 Posts
When adding a sump to the tank you do not cut out a large hole matching the perimeter of the manufactured piece approximate size of 11'' x 5 '' . Four one inch holes will supply ample fuel and also act as a baffle . I'm not convinced using the sump as return line wont cause turbulence along with returning hot fuel near the pickup line.
classracer is on my ignore list now !!! For those that are curious of what motor is in my Chevelle it's a pump gas friendly 11 to 1compression 509cid , AFR290cc , Comp 260 - 266 , .732 - . 725

Too those that have contributed knowledgeable info thank you :)
Where do you think 90% of oem efi fuel sending units put the return? Right next to the pickup...like within an inch of the pickup.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Returning it to the sump just makes the pump work harder , especially under acceleration . Think about it ......

The larger the return line , the less pressure in the line , so less aeration when returning it to the top of the tank . If your not using a dip tube .

Ive never had an aeration issue returning fuel to the top of the cell , and thats with 2 A1000 pumps . -10 return
If using a dip tube to the bottom of the tank it will make the pump work just as hard as if the return is to the sump.

·
Registered
459 Posts
With my Plymouth Satellite I have a 1/2' gauge / sender unit I use as a return , feeds into bottom of tank . And a Comp Eng sump for feed to pump .

Tex

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not quite , as the fuel is being forced to the sump when accelerating .
That is true.

I actually called aeromotive today to talk to them about my fuel system I’m going to redo. I mentioned using my second sump bung as a return and he said no because it could cause a “whirlwind” at the bottom of the tank???? But at the same time I asked about one of their eliminator intank stealth kits. He said in order to use it you had to make sure to use a -10an return and had to make sure that the return went directly back into the pump “sump/sock” right next to the pickup so the pump doesn’t suck the sump dry. Lol. So aeromotive runs an eliminator in tank pump kit that deliberately returns all the bypassed fuel within an inch of the pick up, but then told me not to do that because of underwater turbulence????
I would run a return to the top of my tank but there isn’t enough room between the top of the tank and the bottom of the body floor.

Also, he said return it to the top front of tank and he said not to bother extending the return to the bottom of the tank, just let it dump from the top and splash down. He said the return is so big that it will be under low enough pressure it won’t cause aeration when hitting the fuel.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Most tech staff are there for the vacation pay !!!

If you read it on the internet it must be true

I'm going to listen to what my wife tells me ; she knows everything :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

I'm going to listen to what my wife tells me ; she knows everything :)
Lay you odd 20 to 1 she's smarter than Classracer.

·
Registered
650 Posts

I'm going to listen to what my wife tells me ; she knows everything
Can always go pre-internet... Try something and see if it works. If it doesn't try something different lol.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
On my return to sump fuel line I welded an end cap on it (it's stainless), then I drilled 3/8" holes up (and around) the tube for about 5 inches-it dissipates the fuel really well without turbulance-

21 - 31 of 31 Posts