Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been working on my Chevelle to be more street friendly including removal of fuel cell in favor of factory gas tank . I'm purchasing new gas tank that I will add a sump to feed my electric fuel pump and will have new fuel sending unit . Can I use the 3/8 feed line that comes in the sending unit for my return line ?
If not where is the best location to weld bung on tank for return line ?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Been working on my Chevelle to be more street friendly including removal of fuel cell in favor of factory gas tank . I'm purchasing new gas tank that I will add a sump to feed my electric fuel pump and will have new fuel sending unit . Can I use the 3/8 feed line that comes in the sending unit for my return line ?
If not where is the best location to weld bung on tank for return line ?
How many bungs does the sump have? My sump has 2 bungs on it...I believe 1/2” npt each. Use one for feed and one for return.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
^You’re not much of a racer if you think you don’t need to sump a factory tank in a drag car.
You can use the second bung, or use the top 3/8 for the return, which is what I would do. The second bung will work but you’re returning hot fuel into the tank, and being so close to the feed it’s likely you’re heating the fuel running into the engine.
You will also need some kind of vent.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
I don't think I know!
Sure.
And yes, I suppose on a carb application it’s not completely needed, but without one on launch you will most likely starve the fuel pickup for maybe a second, but run after run you’re starving the feed and causing fuel aeration, which will adversely affect performance.
But I’m not trying to convince you, you have your opinion and if it works have at it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts