Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years away from bracket racing and now 61 years young, I just couldn't get away from the yearning for another hot rod, so I bought a 69 Nova with a 540 pump gas crate motor (700 HP). This will mostly be a street cruiser, making occasional trips to the track for play time.

The car was built mostly well, but some things weren't done correctly, in particular the fuel system. It has #8 AN braided line from a Holly blue pump (factory tank), split off at the carb bowls to # 6 AN with no return and only one bogus filter at the pump. The pump is screaming from the back pressure. My plan is to add a sump to the tank, a pre-filter after the pump, another filter at the regulator and a return line. I'd like to stay with the stock tank vs a fuel cell because the car it otherwise unmolested (stock wheel wells, no roll bar, etc)

What I'm looking for is filter suggestions that will do the job and not break the bank and hopefully some pics of your plumbing at the carb to guide me in the right direction. Any other suggestions would be great...thanks

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
After many years away from bracket racing and now 61 years young, I just couldn't get away from the yearning for another hot rod, so I bought a 69 Nova with a 540 pump gas crate motor (700 HP). This will mostly be a street cruiser, making occasional trips to the track for play time.

The car was built mostly well, but some things weren't done correctly, in particular the fuel system. It has #8 AN braided line from a Holly blue pump (factory tank), split off at the carb bowls to # 6 AN with no return and only one bogus filter at the pump. The pump is screaming from the back pressure. My plan is to add a sump to the tank, a pre-filter after the pump, another filter at the regulator and a return line. I'd like to stay with the stock tank vs a fuel cell because the car it otherwise unmolested (stock wheel wells, no roll bar, etc)

What I'm looking for is filter suggestions that will do the job and not break the bank and hopefully some pics of your plumbing at the carb to guide me in the right direction. Any other suggestions would be great...thanks
Aeromotive has some good diagrams for return style plumbing. Their tech dept can guide you too. But... I think you will want a # 8 return. Here is an example return style, #8 feed to regulator #6s to carb, #8 return. An expensive route, but worth it. Cheap pump, cheap regulator, undersized return line.... recipe for problems. Spend a bit more for a great set up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Russell. The biggest question I guess I have is how to plumb the return into the stock tank. I've read that #8 would be the way to go with the return line, but the original hard line on the pickup seems like a choke point for the return? Maybe that's not an issue but I don't know.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Can you get inside the top of your tank through the sender and install a -8 bulkhead fitting? Drilling a new hole on top? Maybe call Aeromotive, see what ideas they have. I know they have an adapter for a Ford Tank that converts the sender unit hole to a -8 return.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If it was me, I would use a Tanks Inc. EFI tank, fits in same location as stock tank, 1" deeper and has baffle around pump pickup. Use a lower pressure style TBI EFI pump that mounts in tank keeping it cool and very quiet, and the Tanks Inc fuel pump mounting piece has built in return port. Then run a quality return regulator that will go down to 6 psi and you are set.
I also know the Tanks Inc. make retrofit kits for stock tanks. Give them a call, I bet they can set you up with a retrofit tank adapter and pump. The PA2 setup feeds 610 HP carbureted, and PA4 does up to 790 HP. The PA2 is $225 and PA4 is $235

·
A Senior Member
4,333 Posts
The return line should be larger than the feed line if you want stable fuel pressure at the carb.
This right here!

You don't want a back pressure from a restriction in the return line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts