Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over in natrally assp. didn't know if that was where I should have dropped this Q,

383 sbc using a mech.fuel pump,with Mallory regulator (set @ 7 1/2)I have the lines under the hood covered with heat tubing.It seems that ONLY when the temps on the street get to around 190,( and this is on real hot days) and I stop for a traffic light, then start again,the psi starts to rise upwards to 10 -11 sometimes 12 psi and does not come down only when I shut down the car does it drop,and that takes awhile also.

What could be the problem,and how can I fix it? Thanx for any help

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
I have always been told Mallory regulators are junk. That might be the problem. The old trusty Holley regulators are supposed to work much better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, thanx. I was tol by a freind to ditch the Mallory also. Looking into a Aeomotive or Magna Fuel.............

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have always been told Mallory regulators are junk. That might be the problem. The old trusty Holley regulators are supposed to work much better.
I got a pile of burnt pistons to prove that. The return style mallory is much better, but still shitty.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yep... those cheap Holley regulators that always seem to lay in the bottom of the toolbox are the best ones. It's hard to believe they work so well... ugly as they are. I run nothing else.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats funny.I have at least 3 in my hi boy box Looks like I'll have to pull 1 out of retirement.............. Thanx guys for the replies

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The cheapo Holley is supposed to work great.
I have one of those cheapo holley regs and the pressure starts at 6 1/2 lbs but creeps upto about 12 lbs. normal? wrong? What to do?:confused:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Brand new, of course that does make it good. I am going to recheck everything this weekend. Hopefully that will fix it. So what is the best way to set it???? I have been a mechanical fuel injection guy and not much experience on carbs....

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The guy at holley told me that if the pump is too big it will always creep. This is just your typical unregulated holley pump which I think only has 15 lbs. But this just doesn't seem right.......

I don't remember them creeping before??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts