Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help! got a brand new aeromotive 2000 and part # 13210 regulator !!!! the fuel pressure keeps jumping around it goes from 10-4 when i had it set at 7.....i set it at 7 the next day tow to the track fire the car up and its at 4?????? so set it again make 3 runs good and 4th run right before the end of the 1/8th car noses over and i look its at 4..... start down the return road 9 1/2 psi????? help

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Sounds like the pressure is dropping? If it spikes up high 10PSI or above it may be the reg. is bad. Not familiar with that pump does it have a bypass built on the pump? If so the the bypass may be sticking. Sticking open fuel pressure drops sticks closed pressure increases. I see where you say it does go up on return road sounds like by pass sticking. Most of the by passes are a spring loaded valve for lack of better term. If it is not adjusted correctly it will cause pressure to jump around. Clean and readjust. Check to make sure wire size is correct, ground to neg on battery not chassis. Use a relay to operate pump. Do not wire directly to switch.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well aei tech told me what parts to bye as far as filter and such! no foam in tank,pumps not that noisy, ive never adjusted the psi on the pump the tech guy said it is factory set at 18psi and to leave it there! does anyone set it there self??? yes it is a oil filled gauge and i tried another gauge i had and still the same thing.....any ideas?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also i do have a relay wired in there.....pump does have a bypass built in that is running in the top of the tank.... im gonna take the regulator back today and get a new one....still worried though and there isnt anyway to know till i get to the track i suppose, i just hate to waste another weekend

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Well it sounds like you got it narrowed down. Yes the by pass should be set at 18psi for gas. I would take it apart anyway to clean it. Very simple it is just a spring with a plug on top. Opens and closes as psi increases. Your pump should have a port on it for a psi gauge. Count the number of threads showing on by pass, then take apart clean, replace to the number of threads you counted. You should be close enough to fire up motor. Start engine with the gauge on pump, adjust by pass till 18 psi reached. Turn in or tighten increase psi, turn out or loosen decrease psi AT PUMP not reg. As far as filter I am sure it is paper element. not much you can do with that other than replace. It may be clogged but I doubt it if it's new. This sounds stupid but I have seen it at track( check direction of fuel flow. make sure the element is not in backwards. They do make directional elements) I doubt you have it in wrong but I have seen this done on several cars. guys get in a hurry. I run alcohol. Had filter with screen in it get clogged. Car would idle but fall over on big end not enough fuel.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i tore everything apart and filter was dirty!!! no filter before pump so im sure all the dirt was pushed right through the pump!!! i took reg and pump back, cleaned filter , took the tank out and washed it out ,flushed all the lines,and took the carb to get cleaned as well.... so its like starting over but without the dirt....im hoping dirt in the pump screwed with the reg on the pump but we will see on sunday.... ill let u guys know what i find out.....

·
Registered
396 Posts
It would probably be a good idea to have a filter before and after the pump. I run the Aeromotive 100 micron filter before the pump to catch the big stuff and I have a Canton 40 micron after the pump for the finer debris.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
well i tore everything apart and filter was dirty!!! no filter before pump so im sure all the dirt was pushed right through the pump!!! i took reg and pump back, cleaned filter , took the tank out and washed it out ,flushed all the lines,and took the carb to get cleaned as well.... so its like starting over but without the dirt....im hoping dirt in the pump screwed with the reg on the pump but we will see on sunday.... ill let u guys know what i find out.....
It is a good idea to have the filter between the tank and fuel pump. You can also as stated by the last post to have a filter between pump and carb. Do you use a funnel with a filter in it when filling the tank from jug? Also not a bad idea. I use this type of funnel when pumping alcohol from barrel to jug then again when I pour from jug to tank. So my fuel is always filtered before it goes into tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts