Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to run new fuel lines in my 86 notchback but I’m unsure of what would be a good setup for me. If anyone can shed some light on this I’d appreciate it.

The car is an 86 notchback with a sbf 347 making 400 whp. Stock pickup in the tank with a mechanical carter 120 gph fuel pump and a 750 quickfuel carb.

I’m wanting to keep the fuel system Nhra legal so I was thinking of braided line or possibly push lock type lines but I’m leaning more towards the braided line.

What would be an adequate size for the fuel line and is there a fitting to mate the braided line to the stock pickup?

Thanks

·
Registered
922 Posts
any plans on eventually going quicker with this car? I'd use the nylon braided stuff, im not a huge fan of the pushlok for fuel systems. -8an feed would be fine. Def enough for 400whp

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Down the road I’m sure I will want to go faster. I was real close to pulling the trigger on a turbo kit but decided I need to get the project finished before I start changing things around.

Later, I don’t know how much later, I would like to build a 351 based stroker and aim for 5-600 horsepower.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Down the road I’m sure I will want to go faster. I was real close to pulling the trigger on a turbo kit but decided I need to get the project finished before I start changing things around.

Later, I don’t know how much later, I would like to build a 351 based stroker and aim for 5-600 horsepower.
https://ormebrothers.com/
I think these guys are on the bullet and might even give a discount to the YB members. Eitherway their prices are low enough on the PTFE stuff that going standard rubber/braided line doesnt make sense. Also, for similar ID size, PTFE braided hose is smaller OD than regular rubber line. Could come in handy when running lines.

·
Registered
16,315 Posts
Get some PTFE fittings/line. I don't even think about using braided rubber for any important fluids anymore. Too many fuel leaks over the last few years using "the best" braided rubber hose.

They have adapter fittings available for different hard lines. Look for something like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/rus-640853

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Are you using a stock 79-85 carb tank and pickup? Or a modified efi pickup?

Either way, the 5/16" line is too small for the suction side of the pump. EFI cars can get away with it because the pump inlet is the suction and the whole line is at 40+ psi of pressure.

If you have an efi tank, the aftermarket pickup tubes are still available. While a sump is a better option, I think that a 1/2-5/8" pickup tube would be sufficient with a mechanical pump.

If you plan on using an electric pump in the future, I'd go ahead and do the sump. A few are available that match the shape of the Mustang tank.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I’ll check out the PTFE lines.

Also, yes it is the stock carb tank and pickup. The car was an original 4 cylinder car. Are the lines on the pickup the same size from the v8 and 4 cylinder?

·
Registered
16,315 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I’ll check out the PTFE lines.

Also, yes it is the stock carb tank and pickup. The car was an original 4 cylinder car. Are the lines on the pickup the same size from the v8 and 4 cylinder?
I'm 95% sure they are the same size but they are routed differently.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks.

What would be a good size for the fuel lines?

-8 an from tank to pump, should I run 8 an from pump to regulator or would -6an work?

·
Registered
16,315 Posts
Ok thanks.

What would be a good size for the fuel lines?

-8 an from tank to pump, should I run 8 an from pump to regulator or would -6an work?
6AN should be fine.

BTW - another good reason to use PTFE is the inside OD is larger than the same size braided rubber.

·
Registered
16,315 Posts
Strange everyone I’ve measured Id price was smaller then Id of braided
Could you write that again in plain English?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Gosh dammit spell check.

I’ve measured a few ptfe hose and the inner diameter was always smaller the. The braided counterpart.
I agree almost all hose brands PTFE is listed as slightly smaller ID. However PTFE is also quite a bit smaller OD, so you might be able to fit a lager size AN line easier when using PTFE

·
Registered
16,315 Posts
What brand of hose ptfe was larger
I researched this last year. My memory was seeing a table with IDs of both rubber and PTFE. I'll have to find the source with the table again.

·
Registered
16,315 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I found the Aeroquip catalog online. It lists the ID of various hoses. The IDs I found for Teflon is just a little larger than the same size rubber braided hose. Not as much as I remember from the other comparison though.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pct_479318.pdf
Oddly enough, Aeroquip braided hose and fittings are the smallest that I've come across.

Try putting some Earls Swivel Seal ends on Aeroquip hose. It can be done but you might bleed out first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts