Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a set of injector clips that hold the injector in place with a small screw on extruded rail material, like those seen in this video. I'm not finding them anywhere. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just FYI I found them here; a little steep though ($6.50 AUD)...

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,278 Posts
Do you have a reason to want to be able to lift the fuel rails up under pressure? If not, there is no need for retaining clips like those. All the stuff I have ever worked-on or made captured the injectors between the fuel rail and the injector bungs on the intake manifold. Doing it this way they will not go anywhere BUT you can not lift the rails up with the fuel pump running!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they were inexpensive I would run them just for the heck of it, but I am going to have my injectors held in place by the rail, so I know they're not needed. Now I've just got to fabricate the brackets. I'll post some pics of the DIY injector bung and fuel rail fabrication I've done if the heavy hitters promise to only give constructive feedback... ;)

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Just make sure it compresses close enogh they cannot work down and lose the o-ring seal, and not so much it does not bottom out.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never thought that bottoming out might be a problem; thanks for the heads-up!

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,278 Posts
Things grow when hot. I always leave a little wiggle room. When my engine is up to temp and heat-soaked with the hood closed I can still rotate my injectors. They are snug, but not loose and not tight.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,849 Posts
I never thought that bottoming out might be a problem; thanks for the heads-up!
The injector bottoms on the bung and the clip holds the injector in place. You can use "C" clips, you dont want the injector to float in the rail.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,278 Posts
The injector bottoms on the bung and the clip holds the injector in place. You can use "C" clips, you dont want the injector to float in the rail.
I would have to guess that my injectors have about .100 play up and down. If I was to slide the injector up as much as I can into the fuel rail, then pressurize the system, you will here all the injectors slide-down and bottom-out on the manifold bungs.

While the rails are pressurized I can rotate each injector. I actually do this to make sure no o-rings got cut during installation. They will start spraying a stream of fuel if you find one that is cut when you rotate them.

You don't want too much up and down play though. When the injector slides-down and bottoms against the manifold bungs you want to make sure the top o-ring is still not visible. I have seen poor installations where the injector would slide-down and the top o-ring would come partially out of the fuel rail. That is just a fire waiting to happen! It may not have leaked then, but there is no way I would want to run it that way.

You don't want the bottom of the injector to bottom-out inside the bung or manifold. The body of the injector can bottom-out, never saw any issues with that.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,849 Posts
I would have to guess that my injectors have about .100 play up and down. If I was to slide the injector up as much as I can into the fuel rail, then pressurize the system, you will here all the injectors slide-down and bottom-out on the manifold bungs.

While the rails are pressurized I can rotate each injector. I actually do this to make sure no o-rings got cut during installation. They will start spraying a stream of fuel if you find one that is cut when you rotate them.

You don't want too much up and down play though. When the injector slides-down and bottoms against the manifold bungs you want to make sure the top o-ring is still not visible. I have seen poor installations where the injector would slide-down and the top o-ring would come partially out of the fuel rail. That is just a fire waiting to happen! It may not have leaked then, but there is no way I would want to run it that way.

You don't want the bottom of the injector to bottom-out inside the bung or manifold. The body of the injector can bottom-out, never saw any issues with that.

100 thou seems like a lot, that is almost 1/8th of an inch. All I was trying to explain is that you dont want the injector to move up or down enough to expose the o-ring at all. There is usually a pretty good chamfer and the potential for leaks is great, especially in a boosted app. I have seen a TON of sprinklers and everyone has seen the after effect of a leaking fuel system while the engine is running. I don't like to see the injector harness connector hitting the rail, therefore the use of the top clip to hold the injector. Hope everyone stays safe.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,278 Posts
Like I said, that was a guess. If it wasn't below freezing outside I would go take a caliper to them and see. Damn winter!

Here is what mine look-like:

The plug doesn't hit the rail, but I have seen some that do. My rails don't have a lot of chamfer to them, but I know what you mean.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mine have always floated in the rail like Mike's. I too can rotate mine while the pump is pressured up. I have to reassemble my setup in the next few days, I can take some measurements.
Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts