Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around and have noticed a few LS motors that have 16 injectors. 8 stock style injectors that are used for street driving and then 8 higher flowing injectors for when you want more HP.

My question is, how hard is it to do something like this and what is needed to do something like this? I plan on running a Holley Dominator EFI ECU in both trucks as of right now.

Id like to have at least one of our S10's set up like this because my 16yr old son mentioned he would like to do Drag Week next year...and I figured he could do his S10 for Drag Week and me and my wife could do our S10 for drag week.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I have been looking around and have noticed a few LS motors that have 16 injectors. 8 stock style injectors that are used for street driving and then 8 higher flowing injectors for when you want more HP.

My question is, how hard is it to do something like this and what is needed to do something like this? I plan on running a Holley Dominator EFI ECU in both trucks as of right now.

Id like to have at least one of our S10's set up like this because my 16yr old son mentioned he would like to do Drag Week next year...and I figured he could do his S10 for Drag Week and me and my wife could do our S10 for drag week.
Many of the boxes like Holley, FAST, BS3 will support 16 injectors. That being said it doesn't work exactly like you mentioned "then 8 higher flowing injectors for when you want more HP."

Simply dumping more fuel with the extra injectors will make an over rich situation. You need more air, NOS, etc to burn with the extra fuel. There is a FI section lower that will give you more guidance and help.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many of the boxes like Holley, FAST, BS3 will support 16 injectors. That being said it doesn't work exactly like you mentioned "then 8 higher flowing injectors for when you want more HP."

Simply dumping more fuel with the extra injectors will make an over rich situation. You need more air, NOS, etc to burn with the extra fuel. There is a FI section lower that will give you more guidance and help.

Ok thanks. I know its not just flip a switch, turn on the bigger injectors and BAM, more HP. Just trying to see what is needed to run a setup like this....thanks for the guidance Runswithscissors!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Staged injectors is kind of old school
Modern ECU's will fire 160# injectors and idle fine.

Maybe that's so someone can use the stock GM ECU with one of those add on programmers ?

I've always used aftermarket ECU's and have no experience with add on systems.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts

Maybe that's so someone can use the stock GM ECU with one of those add on programmers ?

I've always used aftermarket ECU's and have no experience with add on systems.
They're not "Old School" if you're using staged injectors for an octane boost. On my car the primary injectors are 30lbs/hr and they are fed 93 octane from the stock tank for cruising. At 5lbs boost when things start to get serious, the 220lb secondaries kick in and feed the engine C12 or C16 from a separate 5gal fuel cell. I've even run the car with methanol using this setup.

The advantage is I can drive anywhere burning only 93 octane fuel and can make 8-10 passes using only 4 gallons of the expensive high octane race fuel. It's always "ready to go" and kicks in the secondaries automatically without changing anything on the car on/off the street.

·
Confused Racer
44,031 Posts

Its not just the ECU it is whether the injector can handle getting pulsed that quick for idle

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They're not "Old School" if you're using staged injectors for an octane boost. On my car the primary injectors are 30lbs/hr and they are fed 93 octane from the stock tank for cruising. At 5lbs boost when things start to get serious, the 220lb secondaries kick in and feed the engine C12 or C16 from a separate 5gal fuel cell. I've even run the car with methanol using this setup.

The advantage is I can drive anywhere burning only 93 octane fuel and can make 8-10 passes using only 4 gallons of the expensive high octane race fuel. It's always "ready to go" and kicks in the secondaries automatically without changing anything on the car on/off the street.
This is basically what I am wanting. I was thinking that you are using the stock injectors for cruising and when its time to race, you break out the laptop to turn off the stock injectors and activate the bigger injectors and put your tune in for the race fuel.

So I understand this right, you don't have to change anything in the tune when switching from 93 to race fuel? What setup are you using if you don't mind me asking?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.