Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making the move from nitrous to turbos. BBF with twin 88's on M5. Right now I run a 5 gal cell in the trunk. Planning on feeding the new combo with a belt driven pump. At the power potential that the combo will make (2500ish pretty easy) and M5 I know that volume will be huge. I also realize that pushing fuel that far at said volume is a lot to ask. Will the cell work in the rear or do I really need to move up it up front? If so, will 5gal be sufficient? Seems that the math say I should be close. Tow up, start car/burnout, stage and make a hit. Tow back. Thoughts??

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
A cable driven pump with the rear mounted cell would be fine if you don't have room for a cell up front. I just ran new PTFE fuel lines and moved my belt driven pump to the rear, running gas now and planning on switching to methanol soon,

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I have run M5 quite a bit in the past but I don't think there is any need for it to easily meet your goals using VP M1. The M5 is twice the cost and WAY harder to breathe any exhaust fumes in the cockpit or shop for that matter. Nitro paraffins smell/breathe like regular nitro!! The M1 is safer for the engine with less chance of detonation. I would run a bottle of VP lube per 54gal drum. Proline and many others run VP M1 for a reason. I have even seen them remove M5 from a car they were going to run for max power on FT's Pro Hub Dyno. It does however have some entertainment value. Doing a big rolling burnout on a crowded starting line is awesome when you see everyone start gasping for breath, panic and stampede off the starting line, LOL!! It's almost worth the added cost for that alone. I'm a dealer for several products you may need and a few are in my signature along with my email address. I'll be happy to get you pricing and help any way possible. Good luck with the swap and welcome to the dark side. TTRTCTTFMF!!

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
You can leave the cell in trunk and feed a smaller cell in the front using a Holley black pump or something similar.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can leave the cell in trunk and feed a smaller cell in the front using a Holley black pump or something similar.
Aeromotive recommended this to me when I told them I wanted to run their belt drive fuel pump up front but with a rear fuel cell. He called it a "pony" tank and recommended a minimum of 2-3 gallons.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I have made them as well. However for that power level and you want to keep cell at rear I would recommend the large Waterman cable drive. It can be used on pretty much anyone's hex drive pump. Don't get me wrong a cell up front is easier and cheaper and size really depends on if it will be 1/8mi or 1/4mi along with the other variables you listed. The only negative in the front is that's the end that hits the wall 90% of the time. Fire system, correct safety apparel and a fuel shutoff valve are all pretty much necessities IMHO.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have made them as well. However for that power level and you want to keep cell at rear I would recommend the large Waterman cable drive. It can be used on pretty much anyone's hex drive pump. Don't get me wrong a cell up front is easier and cheaper and size really depends on if it will be 1/8mi or 1/4mi along with the other variables you listed. The only negative in the front is that's the end that hits the wall 90% of the time. Fire system, correct safety apparel and a fuel shutoff valve are all pretty much necessities IMHO.
appreciate the reply. Car will see mainly 1/8mi. After thinking about it I think I’m going with a front mounted 5gal cell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts