Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,365 Posts
I'm running a set of 165/80R-15 Nexen tires on the front of my 3550lb Mustang. I think the last set cost $65 each? This is the 3rd set in 10 years. Car regularly runs 150-168mph and endures lots of street miles. I don't even use a chute normally to slow down so they usually are tested well. Drag Week is not even a hard workout for my car.

The main thing to do is make sure you run at least the maximum pressure (I run 37 psi). Running any tire with less than recommended pressure will hurt the sidewall. Also realize that they are susceptible to road hazard damage on the street so don't let them get hurt then run them fast.

·
Banksters Paradise
6,038 Posts
I recently fitted 205/70R15's on my front 15x5 prostars. They are 26.3" tall and look good on that wheel. They now suit the 28" tall rears perfectly, car looks much better. 205/70's are available in good speed ratings and are more than enough load rated. They are 5lbs heavier each tire than the previous 185/65's (not enough to matter).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
3500lb street car i recommend the 26x7.50 sportman fronts in 8 ply. have them on a 3.5 rim they arent a big tire and although they might weigh a lb or more then a cheap skinny they will hold up well on the street. i get a few thousand miles out of them on my car which is 3900lb. (2350 on the nose) been 147mph on them and it drives like a cadillac

·
Registered
16,365 Posts
I'm running a set of 165/80R-15 Nexen tires on the front of my 3550lb Mustang. I think the last set cost $65 each? This is the 3rd set in 10 years. Car regularly runs 150-168mph and endures lots of street miles. I don't even use a chute normally to slow down so they usually are tested well. Drag Week is not even a hard workout for my car.

The main thing to do is make sure you run at least the maximum pressure (I run 37 psi). Running any tire with less than recommended pressure will hurt the sidewall. Also realize that they are susceptible to road hazard damage on the street so don't let them get hurt then run them fast.
3500lb street car i recommend the 26x7.50 sportman fronts in 8 ply. have them on a 3.5 rim they arent a big tire and although they might weigh a lb or more then a cheap skinny they will hold up well on the street. i get a few thousand miles out of them on my car which is 3900lb. (2350 on the nose) been 147mph on them and it drives like a cadillac
A few thousand miles for the cost of that tire? I've got 15,000+ on the "cheap" Nexen tires sitting on my car right now and they aren't really worn noticeably. I'm not putting down your idea but just pointing out the Sportsman fronts are a pretty costly option (if it's the tire I think it is).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
A few thousand miles for the cost of that tire? I've got 15,000+ on the "cheap" Nexen tires sitting on my car right now and they aren't really worn noticeably. I'm not putting down your idea but just pointing out the Sportsman fronts are a pretty costly option (if it's the tire I think it is).

ive tried the nexens and besides the bulge, it didnt feel good cruising on the hwy and making a turn. the 8ply sportmans are real stiff the car responds well now.

PS my cooling system woes i think are over. mechanical pump, no thermostat, overdriven a 1.22%

you were right, more flow is correcct

·
Registered
16,365 Posts
ive tried the nexens and besides the bulge, it didnt feel good cruising on the hwy and making a turn. the 8ply sportmans are real stiff the car responds well now.

PS my cooling system woes i think are over. mechanical pump, no thermostat, overdriven a 1.22%

you were right, more flow is correcct
Great to hear!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I run Harley Davidson Touring bike rear tires. They are the same ply, height and width as most front runners. They actually have a legit speed rating too (not just tested to 300 like some front runners say)
They have a load rating on them as well.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The M&H front runners look interesting. DOT approved and lighter than all other DOT tires. I may try them next. Anyone else run them?

·
Registered
16,190 Posts
I run Harley Davidson Touring bike rear tires. They are the same ply, height and width as most front runners. They actually have a legit speed rating too (not just tested to 300 like some front runners say)
They have a load rating on them as well.
Any links to them?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd love to run a MT, Hoosier, etc but at 3850 lbs with about a 60% front end bias, they don't make a tire for my car. I'm stuck with passenger car tires and have to rely on them at 160-165 mph.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The M&H front runners look interesting. DOT approved and lighter than all other DOT tires. I may try them next. Anyone else run them?
I just bought a set of M&H for my s197 mustang. I can tell you they are about 6lbs lighter and the tread is alot narrower than the m/t radials. The sidewall profile doent have the big bulge that the m/t's have.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts