Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently using generic 165R15 radials on 3.5" Draglites. Word is local track is saying no good because they are not speed rated(either 112 or 118 mph now) for the 130+MPH we will be running. We are running 315/65R 15" Mickey radials on the rear.
Were told (second hand) that we would have to run a frontrunner type tire, but aren't they all of bias construction?? Seems like handling would get scary with bias up front and radials on the rear.
IHRA rule book has no specs for door cars below PS.
Are we being B.S.'ed? Can the track impose its own rules??
What are you guys running?? Help us out.:smt100
Track is US 131 Martin Michigan, some of techs here are known to be assholes.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Edit: tire size is 315/60 R 15 Mickey ET Street Drag Radial.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have m/t sportsman tires on mine. and i have 2 buddies they are running a actual m/t front runer. nether have had any problems. I have been wantin

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
I run the M/T bias fronts and radials on the rear with zero issues, your track is off base because tires are speed rated at XXX mph over a distance of 50 miles not short bursts.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tom_cowle, what Mickey radial are you using, is it in the SR line? I can't find a skinny radial anywhere else on their site.
The M&H info was good.
I don't like MT Sportsman fronts because they wear too fast.
Thanks guys for the info, would like to see a few more posts if possible.
About the track, Can a track go outside the rule book if they want?
Could anyone who is a tech inspector chime in?
Drag Radial, thanks for your info, I'm going to research speed ratings, never knew much about them anyway.

·
Registered
920 Posts
i think the speed rating is at speed for 1hr to. I just dont know if id feel safe going 130-140 on a metric radial. like the 195/65's

·
1,344 Posts
It's not just at that track. Up here in Canada as well. I think certain topics get brought up in tech meetings and then sent out to all division tech reps. My brother got a rap about it on his 140mph Chevelle in Medicine Hat 2 weeks ago...warned he could run that weekend but couldn't come back and run without them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I looked into this once... I don't remember for sure, but if you call Mickey Thompson and ask what the speed rating is on their Sportsman Front Runners, if I remember, they will say they are "S" rated. The 165R15 are "S" rated as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has anyone run the M&H front runner radial? This the first I've seen them.

I run a M/T ET Front 26x4.5 with 33x14.5 M/T Radials in the Rear, no problems with bias front and radial rears.

The M/Ts 26x4.5 are listed at 12lbs each, the almost same spec M&H (185/55R15) is listed at only 6 lbs. That's quite a bit of weight difference. -12lbs of unsprung rotating weight certainly couldn't hurt.

The M/T S/R Radial is only H Speed Rated up to 130MPH (not that it should matter for drag racing) and weighs a whooping 20 lbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts