Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site seems informative. Kind of a silly question but is there any way to figure the weight of the front end off of the weight of the car.I don't have access to any scale but I did have the car weighed once. I want to put in some drag springs to hopefully air out the front tire. Unless someone has another idea. My car :
1971 GTO
all steel #3890 w/driver
461 Pontiac stroker w/ KRE 85cc heads ported to 310
Crowere hyd. flat tappet cam
3500 stall conv.
th400
12 bolt w/4.10 gears
325/50 Drag radials
So far my best 60 foot is 1.54 and my time is [email protected] mph. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
jack the car up and place two jack stands under the approximate middle of the car. move the jack stands until the car will balance on the jack stands. measure the wheel base and the figure what percentage of the wheel base the jack stands are at.

If the Wheelbase is 116" and the jack stands are 60" in front of the centerline of the rear wheels. that would 51.7 of the weight is on the front end, 3890 total would be 2011 front end weight

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. A friend of a friend ended up having portable scales. Front with out driver is 1940#s. They don't make trick springs for my application. Anybody have any ideas other then coil overs. I'm on a tight budget. I only want to air the front a little bit nothing crazy.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
While front/rear weight is important, don't discount high/low weight, which can have even more effect if your looking for weight transfer. Front weight is weight that needs to be transfered, high weight transfers easier than low weight. Also power to track has a lot to do with it.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Thanks for the tip. A friend of a friend ended up having portable scales. Front with out driver is 1940#s. They don't make trick springs for my application. Anybody have any ideas other then coil overs. I'm on a tight budget. I only want to air the front a little bit nothing crazy.
Your front suspension should be the same as a Chevelle / Malibu.
I'm pretty certain Moroso makes a "trick spring" for your application. 1968-1972 were the same in the Chevelle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts