Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use any of these setups from Summit at all? I am trying to stay under 500$ to convert my manual drums in my 72 lemans to manual discs.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...l/CHEVELLE/?keyword=disc+brake+conversion+kit

I am also interested if anyone knows of any kits that include drop spindles? This car is not very fast, and I know brakes are important so if anyone has any other suggestions let me know. I like summit because of free shipping;) I have found used stuff from A-bodies 68-72 for about 3-400 bucks so I thought I may as well see if brand new is any better?

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw I posted this here because I didn't know which of the Tech Sub Forums to put it in!

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone else?

Like I said the summit ones I am interested because of free shipping. Anyone used any of these before?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i just spent $850 from Jegs for Aerospace disc kit/lines/and new spindles.it was like $640 for the brakes/$60 for the lines and $130 somthing on the spindles.but its a drag only car.i looked at that kit and for the price its a good choice for a street car.i saved 50lbs with the Aerospace kit !!!.look and see what Jegs has,they might be cheaper.

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks man

ya my car will be lucky to hit high 10s oneeeee dayyyyyyyyyyyy. For now it will be a high 11-low 12 sec car, or at least that is what I am building around even though it will be slower.

The manual drums are just pitiful...

and yes it will be 80% street driven. A Real street car for sure

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
go with the jegs or summit kit if your looking for a good orice.SSBC also sells a kit too but there kinda proud of it.but im sure its a high quality kit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i just spent $850 from Jegs for Aerospace disc kit/lines/and new spindles.it was like $640 for the brakes/$60 for the lines and $130 somthing on the spindles.but its a drag only car.i looked at that kit and for the price its a good choice for a street car.i saved 50lbs with the Aerospace kit !!!.look and see what Jegs has,they might be cheaper.
I literally got my same set(Aerospace) up from Jeg's also! I ended up saving a boat load o $$ with my racer discount #!! My car is still streetable. barely but it is. I did rear Aerospace brakes a few years back. I love the brake's. and Yes, Diet for the car! lol :p

·
Registered
545 Posts
You did notice the kit you link to is for the rear. Post sounds like you want front discs. Which are you looking for?

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
just buy the caliper brackets by themselves, and get the rest of the stuff at an auto parts store. my total investment was $280.00

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just buy the caliper brackets by themselves, and get the rest of the stuff at an auto parts store. my total investment was $280.00
where did you get your caliper brackets from? I saw a set on a chevelle site (I can't remember) and they were 90$ and looked like cheap ass stamped steel.

Do parts stores carry disc brake replacement stuff for cars that old? Alot of the how-to I have seen says to use parts from 3rd gen camaros.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
where did you get your caliper brackets from? I saw a set on a chevelle site (I can't remember) and they were 90$ and looked like cheap ass stamped steel.

Do parts stores carry disc brake replacement stuff for cars that old? Alot of the how-to I have seen says to use parts from 3rd gen camaros.
thats about what the brackets cost, and they are a heavy steel. its the same brkt that comes in the kit. yes parts stores can still get this stuff. go to a carquest auto parts up there. i just looked it all up, rotors 46.38 ea. calipers 52.49 ea with brake pads, brk hoses 16.34 ea

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats about what the brackets cost, and they are a heavy steel. its the same brkt that comes in the kit. yes parts stores can still get this stuff. go to a carquest auto parts up there. i just looked it all up, rotors 46.38 ea. calipers 52.49 ea with brake pads, brk hoses 16.34 ea
so your total cost involved includes those caliper brackets?
was this done on a chevelle you own or on that B-body in your avatar? Did you get new spindles as well or did you just modify the stock ones?

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
Anyone use any of these setups from Summit at all? I am trying to stay under 500$ to convert my manual drums in my 72 lemans to manual discs.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...l/CHEVELLE/?keyword=disc+brake+conversion+kit

I am also interested if anyone knows of any kits that include drop spindles? This car is not very fast, and I know brakes are important so if anyone has any other suggestions let me know. I like summit because of free shipping;) I have found used stuff from A-bodies 68-72 for about 3-400 bucks so I thought I may as well see if brand new is any better?
i just purchased the willwood kit for my 67 velle.. it was easy to install and utilized the stock spindles.. i think it was around $650 and came with slotted drilled rotors..

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
so your total cost involved includes those caliper brackets?
was this done on a chevelle you own or on that B-body in your avatar? Did you get new spindles as well or did you just modify the stock ones?
brackets were $80. plus the prices i listed for the other stuff. it was on my 61 belair, and i used the stock spindles with no mods

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just purchased the willwood kit for my 67 velle.. it was easy to install and utilized the stock spindles.. i think it was around $650 and came with slotted drilled rotors..
where did you get that from?
only Wilwood kits I see on summit or Jegs runs 785$

1 - 20 of 23 Posts