Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a MFG that builds a box to mount on front of an open trailer. Something like 8' x 8' x 6' tall? Something along those lines is what I want. I can build it but it be nice if there someone that sells them

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If I'm not mistaken most people go to their local Tractor Supply, Atwood's, etc. and pick up a truck bed tool box. They're reasonably priced, sturdy, come with a lock and you can position them in the place that works best on your particular trailer. I'm not aware of anyone that makes one as big as what you're looking for but perhaps you can try these places. One note: I would be careful with something that large (especially loaded) and tongue weight. It may make for an interesting towing situation. Good luck.

·
T/S 368E
28,369 Posts

HOLY FRICK, what size trailer do you have???
8' x 8' is huge!!!!

·
Banned
322 Posts
what you're looking for is custom built by a trailer manufacturer. Had one built many years ago, 8' x 3' x 4' IIRC, with standard camper doors one both ends, worked well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
T/S 368E
28,369 Posts

OK, I thought that's what you meant, 8' is huge, 36" would be awesome to store your stuff without having to unload every damn night!!

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,797 Posts
I used a box made for the bed of a pickup a million years ago, that worked great, mounted my winch and battery inside of it.

But you want something BIG and I have seen some trailers like that, but don't know if they simply built it themselves or not. They were strong enough to also had a tire rack on top of them.

·
T/S 368E
28,369 Posts

The 6' tall will be hard to find at a regular store.
You will probably have to find out where those roundy round guys get theirs and just ignore the tire rack.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
About the closest "prepackaged" solution you'll get on this would be buying a used circle track crash cart for around $3500 and modifying to fit. Even then, it will take some mods and not be tailored to the size of your trailer. You will be money ahead building one yourself, or having a custom trailer builder add one to your existing rig.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was hoping for a easier solution over a DIY. Atleast we have it pretty much nailed down to a DIY project.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I built a box on the 20’ open I had several years ago. My brother has had it, for the past 10 yrs now. I made mine, at width (7-6, I think) of deck, 4 ft high, and 3 ft deep, iirc. Doors on ends. Bought 4 sheets of steel, used 3 at nearly full sheet, and cut up one for doors and etc. I will try to dig them up and post. I made room inside for 2 spares, and a few other things on driver side, and tool box on pass.( or curb) side.
I built a nearly full size shelf, at roughly half the height of the box. Sketched out how I wanted everything to sit, several times, and it only took a weekend, minus the paint. I used 1-1/2 angle iron for nearly all the framework. I know it was 20 yrs ago, but I think the biggest expense was the 4 sheets. That was like $200. The angle I got off the job, from the leftover bridging in bar joists.
I did add an extra set of lights on back of the box, for higher tail lights/tag mount and a light to tie down with in dark.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, I welded all framework, and to trailer deck. I riveted the sheetmetal. 2 piano hinges to make the doors, and trimmed with aluminum angle.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts