Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You could also have a T56 Magnum converted to a dog box in the 2-4 gears.... keep 1st and 5/6 synchronized. They take a pounding and there is a 4000lb GTO plus a Ford Galaxie (both turbo'd) on Hot Rod Power Tour making around 1500hp running that trans :)

It is a heavy beast though at 140lbs without bellhousing/clutch etc.
Those guys were on rocky mountain raceweek, Rich with the GTO has a stock magnum, and Bill with the fairlane has a Liberty faceplated magnum, 1st gear is faceplated in the magnums, liberty cant faceplate them without doing first gear. They are definitely a good option for street stuff.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did end up With a Liberty LSC5100. Tunnel had to be modified- alot. Luckily the mid-plate and tunnel-openeing to the engine bay could be retained. Although there is little room as I needed to og to a 164T bellhousing too.

All I need to figure ut now is how to use this thing for full RPM shifts. Do I need a spark- cut? How sholud the cut be activated?

As I understand- this is a "clutch-assisted" Box, however- shifted clutchless. But With or without a spark cut, that is the question.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Do I need a spark- cut? How sholud the cut be activated?

...this is a "clutch-assisted" Box, however- shifted clutchless. But With or without a spark cut, that is the question.
Try it without, there are lots of variables. It may shift at WOT.

When I had a C/A trans mine would NOT shift under full power. The plan was to use my two step button on the shifter. Never got around to trying it, went to a Clutchless 5r instead.

---Bill.

·
Registered
250 Posts
In order to shift clutchless on a transmission designed for clutch shifting, and without using aides like RPM activated limiters and such, you need an adjustable clutch. The base pressure needs to be on the lower end of the pressure in order to easily shift gears at WOT. There are variables such as counter weight levers and added counter weight that can come into play but the basics are you need less base pressure.

·
Registered
684 Posts
In order to shift clutchless on a transmission designed for clutch shifting, and without using aides like RPM activated limiters and such, you need an adjustable clutch. The base pressure needs to be on the lower end of the pressure in order to easily shift gears at WOT. There are variables such as counter weight levers and added counter weight that can come into play but the basics are you need less base pressure.
Most all NMRA Coyote Stock cars run a G101a and shift clutchless with a diaphragm PP.

Grant

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Did end up With a Liberty LSC5100. Tunnel had to be modified- alot. Luckily the mid-plate and tunnel-openeing to the engine bay could be retained. Although there is little room as I needed to og to a 164T bellhousing too.

All I need to figure ut now is how to use this thing for full RPM shifts. Do I need a spark- cut? How sholud the cut be activated?

As I understand- this is a "clutch-assisted" Box, however- shifted clutchless. But With or without a spark cut, that is the question.
Liberty will tell you not to shift them clutchless. I tried one day at the track to shift mine without the clutch. It didnt go very well. The shifter got stuck between the 2-3 shift and i thought i broke the thing. Luckily after i shut the car off and refired it the shifter free'd up and nothing was broken. It is really hard on them to shift clutchless, even with cutting the spark

Just give the clutch a quick tap and push and pull the lever.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Liberty will tell you not to shift them clutchless. I tried one day at the track to shift mine without the clutch. It didnt go very well. The shifter got stuck between the 2-3 shift and i thought i broke the thing. Luckily after i shut the car off and refired it the shifter free'd up and nothing was broken. It is really hard on them to shift clutchless, even with cutting the spark

Just give the clutch a quick tap and push and pull the lever.
How is the project, you ready for drag week?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
How is the project, you ready for drag week?
The project had some bumps in the road a couple months back and I was not able to recover from all of the time lost. I also have some personal issues that I have to deal with that are more important than anything else at the moment so the car is on the back burner currently. I am going to try to get it out one time before the season is over if I can.

How about you? Are you ready? I am still going to come out to NJ tuesday night, and watch some racing on Wednesday.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So, no Drag week this year for you; me neither. Warp Speed goes to speed week too?

Anyway- maybe a true clutchless is what I really wanted.... Need to try this thing out - maybe I like it- maybe- as said above, it CAN be shifted clutcless.... Maybe use the rev-limiter; I gotta live & learn.

My pals, hot- rodding japs for street/ autoX & track, use a newer BMW trans, doing REAL "clutchless" gearing. Will take 1000Hp in a 4WD dragracing. The trans has 2 x internal cluchess; each consisting of 10 discs. It will shift in mere microseconds. Needs a stand- alone ECU and a a fabricated flywheel/ adapter + adapter for bellhousing. The trans weigh some 70- 80 kilos.... The way to go, maybe. No SFI- stuff. A 3mm steel sheet over the bellhousing would make it strip- legal? Cost is about 5-6000$ for all parts, including a 2. hand trans.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would suggest you find somebody with a true clutchless trans who would let you just drive it around the pits. I'm sure you will see it's not something you'd want to try driving on the street. They are a pain in the ass to do anything except go wide open with. Shifting the Liberty clutch assisted five speed should be pretty easy just tapping the clutch pedal, once you figure how much clutch you need to lock it up in the higher gears, since even just tapping the pedal does disengage the disc for a split second.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I would suggest you find somebody with a true clutchless trans who would let you just drive it around the pits. I'm sure you will see it's not something you'd want to try driving on the street. They are a pain in the ass to do anything except go wide open with. Shifting the Liberty clutch assisted five speed should be pretty easy just tapping the clutch pedal, once you figure how much clutch you need to lock it up in the higher gears, since even just tapping the pedal does disengage the disc for a split second.
I agree, the shifts happen as fast as you can yank the lever, there are some guys who will blip the throttle and yank the lever, but i dont see how that is any quicker than tapping the clutch, and it has to be much more stress on the transmission vs using the clutch.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have a 5 speed liberty extreme. I have driven it on the street its a little tedious and if you let off it will pop out of gear. If you keep it under load not a problem. Base pressure on the clutch is low, I run a dual 10" from advanced clutches. I just like to be different I guess.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Most all NMRA Coyote Stock cars run a G101a and shift clutchless with a diaphragm PP.

Grant
Do you have any information on a offset shifter that allows it to fit in the stock location on trans tunnel in a fox? Car is 1985 Thunderbird turbo coupe, turbo Windsor.
I have read about offset shifter brackets but nothing on the g force site shows what you need. I have the long v gate and g101a, would like to fit that shifter in the stock hole but if not the long h pattern would work. I also going to order one of your clutch tamers if you ship to Canada. Clutch is McLeod rxt.
Thanks.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts