Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay; I might have bought the A5 for wrong reasons, but there has been a change of plans and intentions....

I have a LW car, 2400lbs w/ driver, and a SBF 8.2" 347 willingly to 7500 rpm+. At the strip With the A5, gearchanges take alot of time... Seconds. Part of it due to me changing gears at above 7000 rpm, and the synchros struggles. Or I miss the gear completely.

If the gears go in good, I have been 10.9's. But I know the car could be quite alot faster, shifting perfectly.

Any suggestions on how my shifting can improve, besides powershifting and gentle , precise shifter movements? Like a ignition- cut or something?

I seem to remember the hardcore t5- mustang guys made 8's in the early 90's?

Anyway; I am building a New car- race only. But; in addition to the strip, I'd like to do some road racing too.

Which has led me to the gforce g-101 clutch transmission. With the vertical gate inline shifter.

I have been looking around the gforce pages, looking at diagrams etc, but have not managed to understand the technical differnce between the clutcless VS clutch Version of the g-101.
Does the clutch- assisted Version also have the dog gears, as in quick shifts can be done as qick as the clutchless type?
Anyone like to shear any details on the differences between the two Versions?

I've seen some mentioning of bolt-pattern on the g-101 matching the Stock Ford pattern (much likely because the T10- inheritance). Will it bolt up to my Quicktime T5 scattershield?

Very much appreciated.

RS

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
T5 and G101 use different Bell housing.... not interchangeable.

Some 101s use face plates in place of the syncro assembly. This opens the "engagement window" for shifting a bunch. To truly be clutch less you need a special adjustable clutch.... a real heavy clutch is just going to tear shit up with any power.

FYI Liberty and G FORCE also face plate T5s..... but if you have power capable of running 10s a T5 ain't long for this world unless you are really careful with it.

Also, I'd bet you can count on 1 hand the number of 8 second passes that have ever been made with T5s.....
Will

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't know anything about the A5/T5 mounting but the G101a has 6 possilbe mounting holes. If the upper mounting holes are slotted they will match the Ford toploader bellhousing pattern. (Mine is like that and I got it that way from Gforce.)

·
Registered
766 Posts
I do know that the G101a will use the same scattershield as a TKO600 since I had that before, so if the T5 and TKO are the same, you are good.

I am running the G101a Clutch Assisted trans with a SoftLoc clutch in my 70 mustang. Reason I went with that versus a clutchless trans is I do street drive my car. When racing I only use the clutch for the launch and then just quickly blip the accelerator and yank it into the next gear with no clutch. No synchros in trans, so casual non aggressive street driving you have to double clutch on the upshifts, and rev match on the downshifts.

My understanding is the clutchless ones will fall out of gear when not under load due to the gear cut, which is what makes them easy to get into gear with no clutch under full load.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do know that the G101a will use the same scattershield as a TKO600 since I had that before, so if the T5 and TKO are the same, you are good.

I am running the G101a Clutch Assisted trans with a SoftLoc clutch in my 70 mustang. Reason I went with that versus a clutchless trans is I do street drive my car. When racing I only use the clutch for the launch and then just quickly blip the accelerator and yank it into the next gear with no clutch. No synchros in trans, so casual non aggressive street driving you have to double clutch on the upshifts, and rev match on the downshifts.

My understanding is the clutchless ones will fall out of gear when not under load due to the gear cut, which is what makes them easy to get into gear with no clutch under full load.
App.... good to know; do you use a H-pattern or the vertical gate shifter?

Yes, scattershield at least takes one of the TKO's, as far as I can remember...

So; the difference in clutch VS clutchless is in the gears....? OK; are they both straight cut?

How good- or bad- is the 101 at shifting above 8000 rpm?

Thanks for all great replies

·
Registered
874 Posts
So; the difference in clutch VS clutchless is in the gears....? OK; are they both straight cut?
No... Gears are the same, both are straight cut, the sliders are different.
The engagement side of the sliders are identical, the decell (engine braking) side will not hold the gear, pops out when you lift or engage the next gear.
Do not get a clutchless for road race.

---Bill.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Pic is a clutchless... Note the slider lug has a sloping ramp on one side, that slope kicks it out of gear when you lift or up shift. A clutch-assist has a back cut on both sides of the lug (looks like the face plate on the gear) so it can hold the engagement on de-cell.

---Bill.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Bill and Doug. I C difference on the slider ramps, and figure shifting will be as quick as one can handle the stick...

This look pretty much like what we Call dogrings (and a dogbox), a bit different than the faceplated stuff.

The gears look quite beefy. OK; need to do a decision here... some of my pals suggest I go auto, but I'm not sure that is what I want. This will probably be good for me... as long as I manage to shift correct and keep the dogs as supposed to. If they start wearing....

Anyone care to suggest number of runs (1/4 mile) With 3000lbs and 800Hp before the dogrings need changing, supposedly shifted in the correct manner?
(In rallycross and asphalt I figure dogrings changed at least once a year....)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Just for info, a 101A makes a LOT of noise cruising on the street. It's great when you're banging on it but annoying the rest of the time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i daily drive a faceplated gforce, with both h-pattern and vertigate shifters. either configuration is fine for the street, but if you are going to be on a road course the h-pattern will be what you want. The Long brand h-pattern shifter is still fantastic at the track. You will want the clutch assisted (one piece slider) variety so you can downshift and engine-brake. Also, I wouldn't worry about the noise of straight cut gears, I've always found the noise to be underwhelming relative to the sound of the engine.

Regarding shifting a clutch assisted box, I shift my car by tapping the clutch just enough to unload the slider, with the shifter preloaded it drops into the next gear effortlessly. You'll have no issue shifting at 8K rpm. I have 4 summers of street driving + a few passes on one tranny and sliders still look fine, no burs. If you rev match downshifts and either double clutch or finesse the upshifts you can extend the intervals between service. Some of the others have more passes on their stuff so they can comment on passes until service

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for input on the shifters. I have gained Insight on the insternals too, so that's great.

I have taked to Cale about a trans/ clutch, and it might come together soon.

However- there is one more thing I nees to figure out before I purchase anything...

False impression on the vertical gate shifters: I was sure they were sequential type- not so.
I understand- by watching utube vids, you can shift 1.-2. 3.- 4. sequential , you do not need to lift or sideshift the lifter or anything?

And when downshifting, 4. to 3. and then you have to lift something or whatever to go to 2.?

The vertical gate Pistol-grip shifter, With the handle. Alot of People swear by them... But; what does the pistol grip do???? I have no Clue.

Easier downshifting? Or getting into reverse?

Will the vert gate pistol grip shifter be useless on the roadrace track?
I would Guess a H-pattern stick will have too many downsides on the strip, though...?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Coyote Stock guys have to run a H-pattern shifter in their class and have no problems shifting the 101 at the strip. I ran a vertigate on a 101 for 5 years just drag racing and seems like it would be a pain to drive on the street. You do have to pull the trigger to get back up into the 1-2 gate from the 3-4 gate. Reverse is handled by another lever when the vertigate shifter is in neutral.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The G101a CA trans I have is with an H-shift pattern. I drive it on the street with no problem, and at the track it yanks right into gear as fast as I can move it with just a quick blip of the accelerator. After launch I do not touch the clutch until I am slowing down. Had Cale rebuild my softloc this past winter and it is working well.

Yes the gears are loud, but the noise does not bother me, and honestly, with the engine noise, it is not all tat noticable.

·
slams revolving doors
3,823 Posts
I just picked up a new G101A, Bubba said they are all clutch assisted now. They also now have a bearing support from the main shaft to the counter shaft. I was told to shift it clutchless. I'm just waiting to get out and see how it goes. The weather has sucked this year.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The GForce GSR has internal shift rails and packages easier without lots of tunnel mods.

I had one in my 2470lb RX-7 running a 438ci LS7 and 18x12's at all corners. Full road race track car.... shifts were fast and VOILENT. I loved the transmission. Ran a 13lb QuarterMaster 5.25" triple disc clutch/flywheel setup. Not a streetable clutch combo.... 1st gear leaving from a stop is very tricky.... once you get going it is heaven.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yo- what kind of shifter on the GSR? I’m sorry- cannot find any info on this right now as my mobile is somewhat f.u.

Sounds tempting to H- shift the 101. However- i see the coyote stock class run
10.4- passes. I am shooting for high 8’s. So the question is: are 8’s with a Long
H- shifter EASY?

Even started looking into man valvebody 4- speed autos aod and the like.... Spragless, non lockup, 5000+ stall. .... how would something like that be for downshifting?

Alot of useful info for a beginner right here. Thank you, guys.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have looked at the GSR. Getting temted..... I am a bit worried about the external shifting of the 101A. And as I understand, the GSR will take more beating too. Costs are marginal higher. But, still worried about hte H- gearing on the strip...

I had a look at Samsonas sequential 6- speed Box too, but suspect the costs to skyrocket- maybe double- so it might be out of my League.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You could also have a T56 Magnum converted to a dog box in the 2-4 gears.... keep 1st and 5/6 synchronized. They take a pounding and there is a 4000lb GTO plus a Ford Galaxie (both turbo'd) on Hot Rod Power Tour making around 1500hp running that trans :)

It is a heavy beast though at 140lbs without bellhousing/clutch etc.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts