Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are at a crossroads with what trans to go with in a friends truck. We are trying to decide what trans to go with TH400 or Powerglide.
Right now the truck has a powerglide with a Hipsters brake. Dont remember brand but I know it came from Jegs a few years ago. I do believe it was only rated to 550 hp. It was fine for what we originally were doing with it but now things changed ALOT!

At the track yesterday took off in first shifted to second and bam something broke. Truck now has no first gear or reverse even applying the trans-brake. When you drop it in first while rolling it seems to want to stop the truck. Trans it puking fluid out around the input and out the overflow when running. Second gear slips like a mofo.

So now we have no idea whats salvagable in the trans or what to do. He does have a brand new JW bell, shifter and Morose fab pan we just installed on it. We needed a torque converter, and new driveshaft anyway so thats not part of the equation. We can easily fab a crossmember. We wouldnt mind upgrading to a 1350 series U-joint as well.(I do believe we need it at this level anyway)

Here is a short rundown of the truck:
1985 S10
3500 LBS
498 BBC twin turbo
315 D/R
3.27 rear gear
10 psi boost most of the time

He does run this truck on the street as well. He does'nt want to have the trans out every year to go through it. A trans-brake is nice to have for spool up.
So what would you trans guys do?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would also like to add that we are kinda limited on space in the trans tunnel.

He is leaning more to the TH400 but we dont know for sure it will fit in the tunnel.
The truck is not going to be beat to death every weekend but just wants something he does'nt have to worry about everytime he drives it.
The truck should be around 1000 hp which I dont think is rediculus by todays standards but is not something I expect and off the shelf trans (Jegs or Summit) is going to handle.
I to am leaning towards the 400 but theres the parts he already has that he would be out.

:confused::smt073:confused:

·
Super Moderator
19,471 Posts
The glide should work just fine but im sure you have exceeded the 550HP limits the trans originally had. If tunnel clearance is an issue the glide could also be built with a proper SFI approved case which will not require any shields.

Hutch

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think it's a decision to where as 1. Do I want this installation to be easy? 2. Do I want the trans best for street use and best for my application? The glide will most certainly be the easier fit but in my opinion, I like the 400 for what you're wanting to do! Hope it all works out for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts