Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Easy enough. slice tomato in 1/4 inch slices, salt and pepper to taste, then I like to dip in flower, dip in egg then dip in cornmeal. fry hot and fast
some like ******* or dry breadcrumbs instead of corn meal. Tip, this is usually a batch thing, don't put so many new ones in that they cool the pan, or you will end up with soggy Maters. They don't have to be green either, just really firm.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yep that's it. We freeze them in the summer to have during winter. I have my wife cook them a bit longer so they wont get soggy as quick. We just use cornmeal ans salt and pepper and butter. Can't go wrong with them....and fried squash....mmmmmmm

·
Former RJ instigator
42,554 Posts
Easy enough. slice tomato in 1/4 inch slices, salt and pepper to taste, then I like to dip in flower, dip in egg then dip in cornmeal. fry hot and fast
some like ******* or dry breadcrumbs instead of corn meal. Tip, this is usually a batch thing, don't put so many new ones in that they cool the pan, or you will end up with soggy Maters. They don't have to be green either, just really firm.
What he said but I use flour instead of flower.....:p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Make them just like they said then put a peice of provalone chesse on top in the oven till it melts then eat them with ranch dressing

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Make them just like they said then put a peice of provalone chesse on top in the oven till it melts then eat them with ranch dressing
That sounds good. Had something like this at a local Italian restaurant. No breading and some olive oil and herbs.

You can make egg plant the same way.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I use red or green firm tomatoes and they work fine. I recently tried Panko bread crumbs for final coat and they were awesome.
I dredged in seasoned flour, egg wash, then seasoned Panko bread crumbs. They came real crispy, were very good.

I sometimes make a sauce of butter with seasoned flour (roux) cook until flour is golden brown. Add in 1 cup of cream, and one or two finely diced ripe red tomatoes seeded, 1/4 cup of capers, salt, pepper, cayenne to taste, stir frequently and cook until thick......serve over fried tomatoes or as dipping sauce for them.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
stupid questions:

I hate green tomatoes...but love ripe red ones... will the red ones work? what about frying in olive oil? and in a deep fryer?
They actually don't taste like green tomatoes to me. More like squash, once battered and fried.

·
Registered
12 Posts
slice them and put in frig for couple hours, dip in milk with louisiana hot sauce in it (enough to make pink), then in flour with tonys and black pepper in it, repeat then into hot grease!!!!:smt103

1 - 14 of 14 Posts