Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any negative experiences breaking a fresh engine with plasma moly rings and e85? I have been running e85 for awhile and just got my fresh engine in. Ready to hit the track this weekend. Not sure if e85 would have any negative effects on seating the rings.

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
If the cylinder walls were prepared correctly the rings are already seated. In their manufacture, plasma moly rings are lapped to a light tight finish in a diamond abrasive cylinder.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You need to run a upper lube with your e 85 so it doesnt wash the cylinder walls down.......something like Klotz upload. If you arent allready

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You need to run a upper lube with your e 85 so it doesnt wash the cylinder walls down.......something like Klotz upload. If you arent allready

I'm calling BULLSHIT.........(more methanol mentality at work)

why would you put something in ethanol that will fall out of suspension....due to the molecular structure of Ethanol the popular top lubes will not bond like it does in Methanol....but then again, if you want a glob crap sitting in the bottom of your fuel drum....go ahead. (been there, done that, wasted the drum)

you dont need top lube....you have 15% gasoline that works as a lube.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts

why would you put something in ethanol that will fall out of suspension....due to the molecular structure of Ethanol the popular top lubes will not bond like it does in Methanol....but then again, if you want a glob crap sitting in the bottom of your fuel drum....go ahead. (been there, done that, wasted the drum)

BAAAAAAM! LOL!

·
Registered
8,468 Posts

A guess any advice is good advice but maybe you can be a little nicer about it.

Like you said you made the same mistake and learned from it. You learned by fucking up but you are questioning him doing the same thing and talking down.

How about:

Hey man, I tried the same thing. And I'll tell you what it's a big mistake!

Or just tell him to phuckoff since this is YB.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Well, I know guys that use Klotz upper lube and had have no issues. Guess its just a preference.....just like anything else

·
Registered
357 Posts
Some folks run TWC3 2-stroke oil at 500:1 w/E85 ... it's my understanding that there is no problem with it mixing and staying mixed with E85.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Hey KenB, I'm not thinking myself or Chevette were trying to come across as an asshole. I just had to quote him!(thought it was the proper thing to do at the time!LOL!) Mark is a walking book of knowledge when it comes to E-85 and we can all take what he says to heart when it come to corn fuel. With that being said I want to apologize to you and Brian for my response.(could have come across nicer.) To the OP give Mark a call and I'm sure he can answer your questions. 573-694-4088. Again sorry for the response!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I too apologize as well....
too often I hear things being said about E85 that through the years I have personally discoverd to be incorrect....
Im sure that someone is just repeating something they heard along the way, and yes I could have been a bit nicer.....but if I had been would the point have gotten out?

bottom line is this, Ethanol burns differently than any other fuel out there....leaded race fuels and top lubes added to the mix can restrict and hurt the burning process.
And what you may think your doing is helping your engine could actually be hurting your engine, and causing you to be down on power.

kinda like the thinking that if E85 is good E98 has to be better.....its not in all cases....we made the same power out of both blends...and the 85% fires cleaner and more completely thus allowing for less fuel consumption.

OP, sorry if I came out a bit harsh....I do know this fuel and I also know the BS thats being said and pushed out of some companies mouths about E85.....there is a lot of misinformation being passed about...and you need to reserch it in depth before you make a choice.

I will help you in any way that I can......but please, if you take the time to call me, please also take the time to listen to what I have to say about E85...chances are Myself or one of my customers has been there done that and shared the results.

Mark Sullens E85 Carburetors.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If the cylinder walls were prepared correctly the rings are already seated. In their manufacture, plasma moly rings are lapped to a light tight finish in a diamond abrasive cylinder.

BINGO....dead on with an 0

E85 is NOT an issue on break in.....

·
Registered
576 Posts
so did you put in additive or what? :smt073

1 - 16 of 16 Posts