Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious if any of yall have ever done this or heard of it happening? i might sound like an idiot and a rookie but i was in a hurry so mistakes happen

but i just put my motor back together and i had been rushing all day and was not thinking! i cranked the motor up with no water in the radiator to let all my gaskets seat. i let it run for 3 minutes or so and shut it off. i poored water into the radiator and turned on the water pump so i could fill it all the way up. about 10 seconds after i turned it on a heard water spewing out. i looked down and water was coming out everywhere. needless to say i was passed pissed off. after walking out of the shop before i flipped my car upside my partner walked out to tell me it was a freeze plug. when i did this it blew out a freeze plug. i guess you see something new every day.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I would be more concerned about the valve seats in the head then the freeze plugs. Combustion chamber doesnt like that kind of heat with nothing to take it out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It didn't blow a freeze plug out with out pressure and it can not have pressure without the cap on it, so if you was pouring the water in and water was comeing out then it had NO pressure. And running without water to make the gaskets "seat" is some of the dumbest shit I have ever heard.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
might have been dumb i would have to agree but freeze plug is what cracked and water started coming out. i fixed it today. whatever live and learn

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The freeze plug "cracked"???

Oh you mean the motor froze over the winter and pushed the freeze plug out,you found out when you added water!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yall might think this is bs but this is what happened. i will say that there was some rust on the freeze plug a pretty good amount so that is the reason for this happening im sure. but yea fixed it yesterday and everything seems to be fine. it put like a pen size hole in the plugs and poored water out. it did not push the plug out just put a small hole in it

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
I have seen freeze plugs rust on the inside and push water through a hole later....if that is what you are saying. I'm sure most people have seen that.

But it sounded like in your original post when you added water it pushed the freeze plug out. And no, I have never heard of that.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay when i made the first post i had just walked out of the shop pissed off and had just glanced down to see the problem. but yesterday i fixed the problem and when i got it on the lift the freeze plug was still all the way in it had just put a hole in it. when i got it out i saw why it because all the rust on it. sorry for wrong info and sounding stupid i was more venting than anything when i made that first post

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
I wasn't saying the freeze plug problem sounded dumb, I'm saying the "run it with no water to seat the gaskets" sounded dumber than dumb. lol

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
for sure! for future ref. skip the whole fire with no water technique. it dont take long at all for heat to go to bad places quick without the help of water in there to dissipate it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts