Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The U.S. Department of Justice is investigating the automotive oil filter industry on charges of price fixing, bid rigging and allocation of customers. Apparently, they're alleging that all of the big players in the market got together and artificially raised prices.

And for the record, I officially have no life. I read Lubes n Greases magazine.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001156359.cfm?x=bd4y6Qt,b75RqM0m

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LOL...it gets better. Apparently Champ Labs fired a sales exec for milking his expense account. They called in the FBI to investigate, and he repaid the favor by blowing the whistle on them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aELw3klrqywE&refer=us

Moral of the story: If your execs are holding the keys to the skeleton closet, don't bitch about the hookers he's buying on company dough...LMAO...

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
now if they would just do a real investigation on the stuff that goes through the filter...
Bang on.

They are going to fuck over a company from their own country. Did we complain about oil filter prices? I sure as shit didn't...could care less.

Yet we have oil speculators running 70% of the oil stock...and cranking prices as they wish by making headlines :smt076

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
if those washington sons o bitches would close the enron loopholes oil prices would drop in half overnight, yet they havent said a damn word about it...

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might care about the filter prices if you're going through thousands of them per day like some of these big franchisees. They probably pay right around $1.40 [give or take], so a 6% hike on 2,000 filters just cost them $168 per day, or about $50K a year.

I don't mind a slight hit every other year or so, but if they all CONSPIRED to do it in tandem, that's just wrong.

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
You might care about the filter prices if you're going through thousands of them per day like some of these big franchisees.
That makes sense, however I haven't noticed that the price has gone up significantly.

On the other hand, the price of bread, cereal, MILK, vegetables, etc. has increased dramatically. Even fast food has had a big increase over the past 2 years.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
But

You might care about the filter prices if you're going through thousands of them per day like some of these big franchisees. They probably pay right around $1.40 [give or take], so a 6% hike on 2,000 filters just cost them $168 per day, or about $50K a year.

I don't mind a slight hit every other year or so, but if they all CONSPIRED to do it in tandem, that's just wrong.

But nobody said a word that they were charging 1.50 to 2.50 per vehicle environmental charge to get rid of waste oil and filters. When that amount of cost to them per vehicle is about 50 cents.

·
Registered
12,147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,718 Posts
Yeah that's the biggest thing on my mind is the price of a friggin oil filter...... how bout the US department of justice do something worth while and investigate the price of OIL......

That's about right up there with Baseball players taking steroids.... and my tax dollars investigating that.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
That's about right up there with Baseball players taking steroids.... and my tax dollars investigating that.
x1,000,000,000!!!!!!! WTF?!?!? Who cares about baseball anyway, muchless why the government should care. Asspirates!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But nobody said a word that they were charging 1.50 to 2.50 per vehicle environmental charge to get rid of waste oil and filters. When that amount of cost to them per vehicle is about 50 cents.
I've got news for you. Waste oil is a profit center. Anyone who pays that fee is a 'tard.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah that's the biggest thing on my mind is the price of a friggin oil filter...... how bout the US department of justice do something worth while and investigate the price of OIL......

x2.

If they want to investigate Honeywell/Fram, how about they get them for building and marketing a product well known to be a piece of shit?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just tell them to stick it. People do it here all the time. Especially since they never bother to tell you about it while you're in line.

Those fees are pure profit. They're paid for their waste oil. If they can get away with it, more power to 'em. How do you think it would go over with your customers if you started tacking on an Environmental Fee for all HS rockers?

I don't bait and switch my customers; they shouldn't either. Most people just don't have the balls to say 'No'.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
Just tell them to stick it. People do it here all the time. Especially since they never bother to tell you about it while you're in line.

Those fees are pure profit. They're paid for their waste oil. If they can get away with it, more power to 'em. How do you think it would go over with your customers if you started tacking on an Environmental Fee for all HS rockers?

I don't bait and switch my customers; they shouldn't either. Most people just don't have the balls to say 'No'.
Heeyyy, now there's an idea. I'll tell them it's for the pollution generated by all the extra horsepower! :-D

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe I'm just jealous because I can't cornhole my customers and get away with it. If I started tacking on BS to my invoices, I'd lose 'em.

When I worked for Summit Racing, we had a handling fee of $3.95 per order, regardless of the amount or number of products. We had to take it off left and right for people who bitched. I think it's about double that now, and it takes an act of Congress to get it removed. But at least they're shipping for "free".

My company is tee-tiny compared to these outfits, and I get paid for my used oil, ATF, and gear lube. I would imagine that Jiffy Lube [owned by Pennzoil] probably gets at least 50% more per gallon than I do. If they're smart, they're on the other side of the transaction as well, and brokering their own waste.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Truckers struggle, food prices skyrocket, economy in the toilet.
yeah, that 6 percent increase in oil filters is real important.

Just like when Los Angeles made leaf blowers illegal. Oh no, don't worry about the gang problem and other crimes, lets get those nasty leaf blowers off the streets!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts