Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first turbo build and im overwhelmed! I have been slowly gathering parts for turboing my 93 Coupe, I have a Precision 67mm turbo, tial 38mm wastegate, Tial BOV, and an Anderson Motorsports PMS so far. This car is my daily driver so I want it to be reliable and I am tossed up on the hotside, Stainless or Mild Steel? Buy someones complete hotside (Bg, pony down, ect.) or have someone build one for me. Should i do flipped shortys with vbands and make a mid pipe? Looking to stay under a grand on the hotside. Any help is greatly appreciated. Jason Gates

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
Jason,

if cost is a concern i would fab up your own hotside in mild steel...a set of shorty headers, and some 2.5 inch piping, V-band flanges and a few other parts and you could get it done really cheap and not have to worry about a shop putting your parts on backorder...

not sure if you have been to this site but there is a TON of great info on here:

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

good luck dude
Trevor

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Jason I can't really help you either but the turbo forums is where it's at for help...

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I have $200 in my hotside if my math is right... Including the cost of a set of used headers from a buddy, the v-bands and clamps, and a few bends and section of pipe. My cost was a little less that expected because I was able to cut up the old dual 3 inch exhaust that was on the car and use a few bends, straight sections from it. I see no reason you cant build your own hotside for $250 though if you can do the welding your self.

·
Platinum Member
5,683 Posts
Buy some shorty headers and build your crossover out of 2.5" mild steel. V-bands aren't a necessity, you can use the ball and socket flanges, they work fine.

Here's a tubing kit that I've used twice with good results.
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/builder-kits-33/super-builder-kits-47/2-50-od-3-75-radius-16-gauge-mild-steel-super-bk-134.html

You'll need to get some 3" or 3.5" tubing for the downpipe also, the bigger the better, just remember to take in consideration the turbo location and routing of the downpipe.

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
all this talk is making me want to build a custom setup....

Jason, if you are interested in my hotside i will sell it for a pretty good price....shoot me a PM

·
Registered
486 Posts
I like the fact of doing it custom, as you can mount the turbo where ever you want. As stated above set of shorty's and mild steel tubing and get to cutting and welding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts