Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a new flaming river rack off a friend of mine, that bought it new, but never used it. Also picked up an old ford adaptor to use the factory power steering shaft, I've heard of people using this adaptor before with no modifications. But my problem is my shaft seems to be about 1.5 inches to short.

I also just installed a tubular K member, tubular A arms, coil overs etc..

Do you think by chance I have the wrong K member, and my wheels are moved forward? There isn't a front end on the car, so its hard to tell. Anyone have a measurement of how far my rack should be from my steering shaft coming out of the firewall? The rack is bolted all the way into the K member, can't get it any closer.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
What k member are you using? I know QA1 moves the front wheels 2" forward but pretty sure it does not effect the race placement. Any chance its not extended all the way out?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it used, was told its an old UPR K member, But it doesn't really look like a UPR, bolted right up fine though.
Shaft can't get any longer. Something is bound to be wrong, I just can't figure it out lol.

Here is some pics of the K member, in case you might recognize it.

got the spacers stacked up so I don't lose them, they are not staying like that.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Flaming river makes a longer tongue shaft by itself. Where did you find an adapter? Curious for myself since i just bought a manual rack for my car and the shaft is like 300$ lol

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I work for Ford, ordered one for an early 80's mustang with manual steering, Its just like the adapter Flaming River use to sell. The adapter fit right onto my flaming river rack, and it bolts right to my steering shaft, but the hole on the column side is about 1.5" off, and is close to sliding out. I've seen people do this same thing before. Just can't figure out why it wont work for me LoL.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I did it all this past winter, even painted it in my dirty garage lol. came out decent though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The piece on the firewall that the shaft attaches to can be pulled out. Had to do it on mine when I installed the manual rack

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couldn't get it to pull out on its own. Gonna look under the dash and see if there is anyway of loosening it up.
Here ia the adapter though. Just a regular ford manual rack adapter.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
flaming river makes a shaft for p/s that eliminates the rag joint. I have one and can take measurements if you need them. it was used with a team-z crossmember. I've since went to a manual rack.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is a manual rack. I was just trying to go the cheap way and buy a 10 dollar adapter to use my stock PS shaft. Ive seen it used on other cars, just isn't working for me. Makes me think something is wrong somewhere.

Can anyone measure the distance between their rack stub shaft and the short shaft sticking out of the firewall?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I wish i could measure for u but my cars a new edge. Hard to tell exactly but it does not really look like a drop k member from the pics. Worst comes to worst you have to make a shaft. Have you touched anything with the column? I can shift mine a little in and out, doubt its an 1.5" though

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wish i could measure for u but my cars a new edge. Hard to tell exactly but it does not really look like a drop k member from the pics. Worst comes to worst you have to make a shaft. Have you touched anything with the column? I can shift mine a little in and out, doubt its an 1.5" though
I had to really lock something on and twist and turn to get it to slide but it worked for me and others I have suggested it to. I will take pictures when I can

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
The piece on the firewall that the shaft attaches to can be pulled out. Had to do it on mine when I installed the manual rack

Like he said! This will solve your problem...You can take a hammer and tap on it, and it will come out a good bit....

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
While you have it all installed, Tap on this part the red arrow is pointing to...
It will pull the other out whatever you need...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts