Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4th if July weekend pulled my 87 GT outside for a wash, water hose busted didn't wash car.. Went to pull back inside, no fuel pump or spark at coil..
I have replaced ECM, ECM relay, fuel pump relay, wired up fuel pump to toggle switch (pump works)key switch, engine and dash wiring harness. Dash cluster, checked fuseable links, inertia switch, unhooked msd box and hooked coil up factory, Changed out msd distributor to my known good factory distributor, no start, am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks Scott..

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Did you check to see if you're actually getting the switched 12v ignition signal at the PCM? It comes into the PCM relay first, then to the PCM. I believe the wire is red with a blue, or green tracer at the PCM relay. That switched 12v wire feeds a lot of different things, so it's possible it could've blew the fuse for it

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Check the bullet looking connector by battery going to the inside apron its a ground they will break and come loose

·
Registered
812 Posts
Does the fuel pump "cycle" on for the 4 seconds when you turn the key to the "on" position. If it does, then I would replace the distributor TFI (ICM) module. Most of the starting problems came from this little plastic part..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Does the fuel pump "cycle" on for the 4 seconds when you turn the key to the "on" position. If it does, then I would replace the distributor TFI (ICM) module. Most of the starting problems came from this little plastic part..

Bingo. Tfi module.very common problem with your exact symptoms.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Had the same problem on the passenger side kick panel by the computer is another relay.Look up in there pull that relay and replace it should fix the problem.Have fixed several people cars like this before.Some where just corroded cleaned and plugged back end.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Have you checked the ign switch on the side of the column they are notorious for coming loose and can cause the problems you are having, they have little cast aluminum tabs that work loose from the the switch being turned off and on over time and eventually creates a gap between the two halves of the switch, as you can see in the pic above, that is what happened to this switch: see arrow you can see where the two halves of switch has worked loose. Good news is, if that has happened to yours it's very easy and cheap to replace.

·
Banned
31,418 Posts

Have you checked the ign switch on the side of the column they are notorious for coming loose and can cause the problems you are having, they have little cast aluminum tabs that work loose from the the switch being turned off and on over time and eventually creates a gap between the two halves of the switch, as you can see in the pic above, that is what happened to this switch: see arrow you can see where the two halves of switch has worked loose. Good news is, if that has happened to yours it's very easy and cheap to replace.

one of my cars has heavy duty zipties around this switch.....had to do this after it vomited most of the ignition guys onto my shoe went I went to start it one day

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Had the same problem on the passenger side kick panel by the computer is another relay.Look up in there pull that relay and replace it should fix the problem.Have fixed several people cars like this before.Some where just corroded cleaned and plugged back end.
Its usually brown in color. Its way up in there! Up top between the ac box and the body. By the firewall.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts