Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and plan on getting eaten alive. Please take it easy on me lol

I have a GT hatch, street car. I'm starting to take into a more serious direction. I'm considering replacing the back glass with lexan, I'm also considering removing the factory wing for weight savings. I'm trying to make it look tasteful and not totally ridiculous. I plan on tinting the window upon installation. Being new to the race car world. Is it acceptable to use screws vs. rivets? will the factory molding go back on over the fasteners? how much weight do you think I will save (is it worth my time)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
A bad example for others
35,766 Posts
Any reason why you're removing weight where it's most useful?

Remove all the weight you can from the doorjambs forward first especially on a street car.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Your car came from the factory with about a 58/42 weight distribution. you will be making it worse doing what you want to do.
Move the battery to the trunk and put a good kill switch outside someplace instead........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any reason why you're removing weight where it's most useful?

Remove all the weight you can from the doorjambs forward first especially on a street car.
It's a "street car" more of a serious effort than I originally lead on. No bumpers, gutted doors, removed side impact bars, removed factory seatbelt bulkheads, gutted dash, tubular core support, small radiator, light weight brakes, etc... While appearing mostly stock from a distance. The car goes mid 1.2x now. I'm looking for everything and anything I can optimize. At this point I'm not sure if "extra" weight is useful. I'm trying to make the car as light as possible without buying fiberglass or carbon body panels. I'm assuming removing the factory gt wing and hatch glass will result in a considerable amount of weight savings. But, I don't personally know anyone that has removed either.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
The problem with removing weight from the back of the car is it makes a factory nose heavy car MORE nose heavy. Do you know what it scales at right now?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm leaving the glass alone. Installing a 15" scottrod strutless wing, and a lightweight steering column. I'm not sure what else I can do to the car to shed weight.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
You can get rid of all the seats except a light weight one for the drive, get rid of all the HVAC system, shed the power brakes, same with the power steering, get aluminum heads.
Get rid of the whole exhaust system, get aluminum wheels, shed the windshield wipers.
Finally, get rid of all the carpeting and the factory radio. Then take all the wiring out of the car and only rewire what you need for racing.
Got my 85 hatchback down to 2775# with a 200# driver on board this way, all steel body still, no lexan....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hole saw. Carbon fiber hood, fenders, etc.

Id try to keep the all the glass if it where me.
Keeping all the glass now.

I'm doing a gary markwich bumper, and I'm too poor for carbon panels lol I cut almost everything I could have out of the inside and took a hole saw to everything else. The car weighs just over 2800 with driver. Mind you, it's a 8.2" n2o car with a glide and a moly cage. I do small tire "street car" shootouts in my area. The tracks usually aren't 100% I figure the lighter the car the easier it is to hook.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts