Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting ready to weld up my torque boxes, im using a miller mig welder with a .030 wire an was wanting to to see if anyone could get me close to where i should be at as far as wire speed an an amps? thanks

·
Phuckstick
1,108 Posts
do you got the little 120V welder or the 240V model? i have a lincoln power mig 200 240V welder and i use it on C range and about 150 wire speed. just get it hot enough so there is nice pentration. the torque boxes weld actually pretty nice, hit what you can with a wire wheel and it'll come out tits. good luck!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Good luck. I just did it and sub frame connectors. I think you might need .023 wire. I used .033 or .035 and i couldnt do it to well..

·
Phuckstick
1,108 Posts
i welded mine with .035 then again im not a welder, but if the surface is clean and the heat is up high enough i can make it look alright.

·
Registered
122 Posts
with my millermatic 135 i used .024 wire with the heat all the way up wire speed at 70 or so. you need to focus the heat on the thick part of the box and be real gentall when on the floor pan. Thats what worked best for me...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
alot will depend on how well the area is prepped and the condition of the metal if it has rusted some it will not be as thick and may require less heat and or a smaller wire.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have done quite a few just worked on some today I use a Clark 140 amp with the heat on 4 or highest and the wire speed on 2 1/2 with .030 wire.I have used air plane stripper to clean the hard to get to places you need it as clean as possible.

·
Registered
602 Posts
alot will depend on how well the area is prepped and the condition of the metal if it has rusted some it will not be as thick and may require less heat and or a smaller wire.
+1 Getting everything clean will yield the best results, rather than just flying thru the job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have done quite a few just worked on some today I use a Clark 140 amp with the heat on 4 or highest and the wire speed on 2 1/2 with .030 wire.I have used air plane stripper to clean the hard to get to places you need it as clean as possible.
whats air plane stripper???

·
Phuckstick
1,108 Posts
its some hard core paint remover, buy it at auto zone or most auto parts stores.. works good. burns like shit too if u get it on yourself

1 - 15 of 15 Posts