Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of a mini-tub and narrowing my 8.8 on my Fox. I was trying to confirm my dimensions and I have a question. I purchased 15x10 Champion wheels with a 5.5 backspacing. The goal is to bring the wheel in one inch from where they are now with a 15x8 with 5.5 back spacing. Basically trying to bring the tire in to lower the car.

Here is my question.........With a 15 x 10 wheel, 5.5inch back space, with a 29.5 x 10.50 Radial Slick with a cross section of 12.5. will I have to run offset controls arms ? Just curious of how much I can narrow the rear.

Just looking for ideas.......thanks in advance.
Jim

·
Registered
294 Posts
You just added 2" to the outside of the wheel, so if you need to bring it in 1" you will have to narrow the rear 3". I believe you will be in the lower control arm mount, so you will have to move the brackets but am not positive. You will probably have to run an offset control arm. Maybe someone that has done it before can shed some light. We are minitubbing one now and havent gotten to narrow the rear yet (but its coming).

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, heading in the cold to double check all the dim's and set the wheel and go from there.

Thanks again.............

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
My 9" is narrowed 1" on each side and it fit a 15x10 with a 5.5" backspace with stock wheel tubs and stock lowers . If it is minitubbed, go 1.5" on each side. If it is tubbed, like the other guys have said, you can go 3" with an offset lower.
54" is factory 8.8,

here is mine with 52" rear end and the 5.5" backspace with a 275/60

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
15/10 6.5bs, rear narrowed 1.5 on each side is mine, no offset control arms, mini tubbed to the frame rail, not notched.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
So 54" is the factory fox width rear, and since everyone says the SN95 rear is 1" wider, do they mean 1" on each side, or 1/2" on each side? I have SN95 width rear on my car currently with a 15x10 with 7.5" backspace and I'm debating narrowing and picking up a set of rims that have 5.5" backspace. Right now the tire is about even with the fender lip, if I lower the car much more the lip will rub the tire.

I'm trying to decide how much to cut off and what length axles to order if I order new ones (currently have strange 33 spline and strange spool with 9" ends on it and SN95 disk brakes).

·
Pro Spectator
5,550 Posts
I had 2.5" off each side with 15x10 6" BS notched frame. I went with that size because 15x12 with 6" BS would also fit with a 10" non-w or a 275 radial. I also used non off set control arms

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
So 54" is the factory fox width rear, and since everyone says the SN95 rear is 1" wider, do they mean 1" on each side, or 1/2" on each side? I have SN95 width rear on my car currently with a 15x10 with 7.5" backspace and I'm debating narrowing and picking up a set of rims that have 5.5" backspace. Right now the tire is about even with the fender lip, if I lower the car much more the lip will rub the tire.

I'm trying to decide how much to cut off and what length axles to order if I order new ones (currently have strange 33 spline and strange spool with 9" ends on it and SN95 disk brakes).
The Sn and fox rear housing is the same width flange to flange. The axles are 3/4 inch longer per side for disk brakes. The 99/04 New edge housing is 3/4 inch longer per side.

Fox/SN 95- 54 inches flange to flange
New Edge SN95 (99-04) - 55.5 inches flange to flange

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
There is a sticky in the stock suspension page that has helped me alot.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
I took 3 3/32 off each side and run offset lac's 15x12 bogart/275 and 315 tire with 6" backspace.5.5" backspace didn't fit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is narrowed 4 inches per side with 15x12 wheel with 6 inches of back space. Stock control arm mounting. But I had the control arms made custom with chromoly so we could use smaller diameter. It's close but it works.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I narrowed mine 3.750 per side but I relocated the lower control arm mounts on the diff end to run them parralel to each other and make room for big tires if needed, I think 37" centers on the TRZ adj. mounts, the diff is 52" disc hat to disc hat (brakes), big cut on the frame, wheels are tucked in and the diff tubes are sitting 1" under the frame wheels are 15x12 6.5 BS with a 29.5x10.5 tire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts