Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get more air into my radiator for street driving. I was thinking of using a hole saw to make some holes in the grill but I don't want it to look hacky. Anybody have some ideas, maybe some round inserts to clean it up? Don't really want to use the cobra grill insert either.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Looking to get more air into my radiator for street driving. I was thinking of using a hole saw to make some holes in the grill but I don't want it to look hacky. Anybody have some ideas, maybe some round inserts to clean it up? Don't really want to use the cobra grill insert either.
A good set of electric fans?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
LS F body dual fan setup almost fits the radiator perfect and draws less amps than a Lincoln setup. I have a Lincoln, worked with the LS setup and wish I went that route.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
It runs hot with the hood on but runs perfect with no hood. I'm using a big radiator and electric fan now.
What engine combo are you running? I've seen 1000+hp foxes have no problem sitting in traffic on hot days without having to break out the hole saw.....

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Sbf, 408 solid roller with c4
If your running a big aluminum rad with a decent fan set up, I don't see how you would have overheating problems. So I'm out. Good luck.

·
Registered
686 Posts
What electric fan do you have? I have a old ford racing radiator and a Taurus fan and no problems.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
It doesn't overheat but it creeps up
It shouldn't even do that. You are: not moving enough water, or not moving enough air. With the pretty mild set up you have cooling should not be a problem. If you can find out witch one is causing the problem you won't have to drill holes in your car.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Get rid of that flexalite junk. Bud has a D1 A2A setup in front of the radiator and his would creep also with them. He ran the LS setup no issues with it afterwards.

Also if you have a temp gun handy temp your sender and the line going to your gauge if its mechanical just to be sure its not heat soak either before you look into the fan setup more. Simply because you said with the hood off it doesn't seem to creep. GL

·
Registered
686 Posts
Having that little air deflector up front helped mine run cooler on the street driving if it's overheating sitting in traffic you have other problems.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Get rid of that flexalite junk. Bud has a D1 A2A setup in front of the radiator and his would creep also with them. He ran the LS setup no issues with it afterwards.

Also if you have a temp gun handy temp your sender and the line going to your gauge if its mechanical just to be sure its not heat soak either before you look into the fan setup more. Simply because you said with the hood off it doesn't seem to creep. GL
I'll check it out

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was running into the same kind of issue with my 90 GT. It's a 408 as well running a Miezere pump. I battled it for about two years and then went from a black magic to a black magic exteme fan on it and it cured it. I think a lot of my issue had to do with when I went from jet hotted headers to stainless headers. Raised the under hood temperatures. Another thing I went from a 19 5/8" x 31" afco circle track radiator with 2" core width to a fluidyne with 3" cores, same number of tubes but more water volume. It runs even cooler after that swap.
You might just double check while you're playing with it and make sure that your water pump isn't wired up backwards. A friend of mine had that issue.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Maybe even a pusher/pulled fan set up. But I wouldn't think you would need it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts