Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 model Mustang with the factory gas pedal, Lokar cable, and an Edelbrock microswitch. This past weekend at the track I was having to push the damn pedal through the floor of the car to get the microswitch to stay engaged - this was after I bent the shit out of the "arm" on the microswtich in an attempt to help the problem. Is there a better set up out there because what I have will not work. I need less travel in the pedal to achieve WOT and I am not seeing any adjustability in what I have?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have a lokar cable also and had the same issues. I cut the little ball end off of the cable where it goes threough eyelet at the gas paddle then slide a cable locking nut in place of the ball end so I can adjust the amount of travel I needed (at the paddle). After that I used a large nut & bolt combo as a paddle stop to keep the force off my carb linkage... WORKS PERFECT and cost 4 bucks + my time...let me if you need more detail or pics...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I don't think I understand the problem.Is it more of a microswitch adjustment problem or a cable throttle problem?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is more of a cable problem - when I adjust the cable at the carb it seems to stretch the first time you put the pedal to the floor. I can achieve the the first half of the throttle easily, the last half is tough. I notched the microswitch bracket to move it back toward the screw on the secondary throttle shft -it helped. I bent the arm on the microswitch and that helped, but not enough. It seems I need more pedal travel.

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
Do you have any slack in the outside part of the cable? In other words, is it just a bit too long? I left mine long in case I wanted to move the pedal and fought all kinds of issues. It was likethe cable was stretching. Made a pass one time with about 25% throttle opening. The issue was the cable sheath would "bunch up." I cut it down to the proper size and never had an issue again.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The stock pedal assembly should have plenty of travel with the Lokar cable.It sounds like you might need to adjust for a higher pedal height,which should get you plenty of travel.I use the Lokar cable and haven't had any problems with getting a WOT with a carb.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
the throttle pedal bends sometimes, it has happened to me. i took pedal off and boxed it and tried to strenghten it whereever i could. i had some 3/8th solid rods also i put inside the channel so it would help with the bending. have no issues now

·
Registered
447 Posts
X2 ^^^^^^ what he said............

My throttle pedal was bent when we had this issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i had the same problem and from what u are saying its not a cable prob , its the pedal bent , take it off and straighten it out and weld the back of it , box it in so it cant flex, kinda makes it tubular, did mine and never had a problem since, u can also add a rod inside for more strength like (johnquick302)said

·
Registered
34 Posts
moved my micoswitch underdash. mounted on dash bracket near pedal assembly,never had any issues since. cleans up engine area also++ good luck

·
Registered
704 Posts
moved my micoswitch underdash. mounted on dash bracket near pedal assembly,never had any issues since. cleans up engine area also++ good luck
I'd like to see some pic of this ....Nice idea...

·
Registered
53 Posts
thats not a bad idea but if the pedal is bending you may think your getting full throttle but only getting3/4 throttle.:partyman:

·
Registered
34 Posts
tried to get pics. for you but you really cant see it very well. pull pedal assembly off,make a L bracket mount it on top of pedal .so when pedal is depressed top part of pedal arm will activate your switch. alittle work but kicks ass...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts