Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm being a little over-paranoid but I'm just trying to get this cage right on the first try in my 87 coupe. I just cut my door bars out of my 8 point so I can get prepped to finish out the 10 point.

Are there any guys here that have recently done an 8.5 cert?

I have the jegster 8 pnt and then bought the conversion kit to finish it. Theres weird wording for whether I need a rocker bar. Its not needed if the frame rail is outside the driver seat but on a fox it runs right down the middle.

Do I need gussets?
Do I need a rocker bar?
Am I missing something?

If you have a fox that was certed what did you do? and post pics if you have them. Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
provided the floor and firewall is uncut and pretty much all original,rocker bars and dash bar is not required. bend your plates to extend up about an inch on the inner rocker panel for more strength. gussets will be required to certify but only if you are unable to complete the weld all the way around the tube. eddie

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
NHRA chassis inspectors will want a sill bar on the driver side on any Fox body regardless what the rules state. You will also need threw the floor frame connectors with the diagonal bars from the main hoop down to those.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As mentioned in the other 8.5 cert thread just started, I don't have through the floor sub frames either. I have the regular ole weld in style but I do have a diagonal brace that goes through the floor and connects them directly to the main hoop (more specifically the cross bar behind the seat)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
NHRA chassis inspectors will want a sill bar on the driver side on any Fox body regardless what the rules state. You will also need threw the floor frame connectors with the diagonal bars from the main hoop down to those.
Wrong on the sill bar.As previously stated if floor in the area of the door and firewall are not modified no sill bar is required.Just had a cert. 8 mo.s ago.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I would put the rocker bar in why you are there. I dont have thru floors just put the kicker bars thru the floor to the subframe connectors.
The plates that my main hoop sits on go up the rocker, up the seat sill and are contoured to the floor.

Big thing is welding all the way around the bars by droping it thru the floor and if you cant get all the way around you need a 3/4" x 4" tube gusset.

Tim

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
on a sub frame car the rocker panel is considered the frame. mine has rocker bars but know plenty that do not with 8.50 certs.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
That window net buckle looks like a headach waiting to happen.

Tim

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey Matt you do realize that the 8.50 cert is for 1/4 mi, right? 8.50 in the 1/8th doesn't require a cage. LOL.

Just had mine redone last week and he barely glanced at it. Checked a few thicknesses and that was it. I think since they seperated the 8.50 from the 7.50 on up a few years ago the slower stuff like ours doesn't get scrutinized as closely.

How long until yours is done? Going to Gateway in Oct.?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey Matt you do realize that the 8.50 cert is for 1/4 mi, right? 8.50 in the 1/8th doesn't require a cage. LOL.

Just had mine redone last week and he barely glanced at it. Checked a few thicknesses and that was it. I think since they seperated the 8.50 from the 7.50 on up a few years ago the slower stuff like ours doesn't get scrutinized as closely.

I love it! He took 5 minutes on mine, and i got a 150$ sticker.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

lol Yeah seriously its too bad there isnt a 9.5 cert because I could at least get in the ballpark of that one. I wish I could tell the inspector "Yes sir I need a cert for 9.8...since thats all the power Im going to have"

Not sure of a completion date, the Doug Nash swap has killed me and I haven't put the engine together yet either. Almost certain I wont make the Gateway thing now but we might save it all and attempt drag week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts