Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I want to put a new scoop on my car and want a forward facing. I was thinking about a mopar superstock. what do you think. 1st pic is just factory hood and second is pin on cowl (pain in the ass)

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
Leave it alone

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
if you really wanna try it, get yourself measurements of various scoops and make a whole boatload of em outta cardboard.

I really wanted to do the old superstock scoop for mine, so I fabbed one out of cardboard. Lemme tell you there is somethin about that superstock mopar scoop that makes it only look good on a mopar. Its friggin huge! The proportions of the mopar hood just fit the scoop better. On the wrong car....it looks like it overtakes the entire hood.

So...I went and found the measurements for the scoop pictured above(mercury cyclose, boss mustangs and varios other fords or ford related use that scoop or a similar one).

Took some tweaking, but I eventually made a model that was proprotionate to my hood. Then I just made it myself(im stuck with a steel hood and had a hard time finding much of anything that wasnt fiberglass). Hence the reason i made my own(didnt want glass on a steel hood) so i made a steel one.

Id be willing to bet you're gonna be like "wow the mopar looks all wrong on this car" just cause of its sheer size. Make a model first so you dont end up dissapointed in a purchase.

Here is the pic of that scoop above(I beleive that scoop above) on a 67 chevelle that inspired me to go a little smaller than the mopar. It looks better on a GM than the mope does. Not sure whos car this is, but I thought it looked good. Ive got a 66 GS so I was limited in hood options. Mines a little taller in the back because I actually needed one for hood clearance. that one "as is" didnt provide enough for me.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If u don't need it leave it alone only reason I got one is my hood would not close

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the flat hood a droped base 4" is real close. But gets alot of heat, cowl in good air with a pan was good for .10 over no pan. I guess that is not alot but the cowl is a pain when I need to work on it.

Thanks for all the coments and advice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I feel bad for that chevelle :smt078

and yeah I like your car the way it is ;)

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
I feel bad for that chevelle :smt078

and yeah I like your car the way it is ;)
the paint job isnt my cup of tea, but I dig the scoop personally. Different strokes different folks I guess but i dont mind it one bit. its a refreshing departure from the typical cowl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts