Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is the deal . I called Steve this morning trying to figure out what upgrades I am going to make on my car this winter . For those that dont know my car is a small tire 89 Trans Am with one of Steves engines . Like most people I want to make my car faster as it seems I am never content . Well first thing I ask Steve is can we make more power . Steve runs a couple of things past me like cam, blower mods Etc , I am liking what I am hearing because who does not want more power :p ? But then Steve kind of takes me down a different line of thinking . He says that my car can make more power but we really need to get my short times down . I say Steve you are right but I am hoping that with more horsepower I can lower my et with top end charge and let my car leave with less then stellar 60fts . I am not willing to Mini tub my car so the tire I have is what I have to work with . So Steve tells me he thinks that he can help me with my short times . He said that he has been working with Davis Traction Control and he has just become a dealer for their stuff . I told him that was great !! But I asked him how easy it was to use as I am unfamiliar with how the systems work . He said that we should be able to get it to work on the car very well , and here is the kicker . Steve is planning on offering ON TRACK SUPPORT to those that buy systems from him. I was like Wow that makes me feel alot better about investing in this as I will have great support with the product from SME . Needless to say I know what I will be saving for this winter . I hope I did not let anything out of the bag or speak out of line , but I figure that for those that struggle with getting your car down the track using the power that we have you might be interested in this !! Again if I spoke out of line Steve I apologize and you can correct me if what I said is wrong !!

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a couple videos from the KING OF THE STREETS event this past weekend which is an event where you race 1/4 mile on an uprepped track off an instant green just like a street race would be . The temp was cold . In fact the last run race it was 39 degrees outside . Oh and did I mention the cars had to be on a drag radial, I forget what size limitation or a 28/10.5 /15 non W slick . The pot was $12,000 . Would be nice if I could make my car where I could run in this event after the install of the Davis Traction Conrtol and some help from Steve:D. I have to assume some of these guys were using a Davis system .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7FwkrUzYw&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLzFWx_FHm8&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBhy3FCpVc&feature=player_embedded

Impressive for being on a unprepped cold track !!!!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
we have also been testing a 10 inch tire car with a davis control its working great so far,its a 80 mailbu with a 706 nitrous engine and this car hauls ass so far would like to get it into kots next year also..better tune that t/a we are at just under 1400 hp without the 3 stages of nitrous.............

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
The winners car does not have any traction control, just a lot of time in testing and tuning the suspension and making the car work. If you want your car to work like that all you need to do is test and get the set up right. I had a car in that event last year and went right down the track first two rounds, just have to know what the tires want.
If you need some help, I am local and would be able to give you a hand. My shop is in Schaumburg.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It is impressive. Even more so when you consider all the wrecks that happen at these power levels it'd be good insurance for those not competitively racing in organisations that ban it.

Brian will you or Steve do any testing comparing results from the Pro 2 x 12V output version, self learning and non self learning single 12Volt output versions against the MAP 0 -5v versions.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
traction control is a crutch. like Bird said testing and testing is what puts you in the winners.. that being said I had the Davis unit on my radial car.

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we have also been testing a 10 inch tire car with a davis control its working great so far,its a 80 mailbu with a 706 nitrous engine and this car hauls ass so far would like to get it into kots next year also..better tune that t/a we are at just under 1400 hp without the 3 stages of nitrous.............
I dont think I would be a real contender, but I know what most of the cars run that competed and I might make it a couple of rounds. More for the fun of the event than actually thinking I could win it . Those cars are impressive !!

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The winners car does not have any traction control, just a lot of time in testing and tuning the suspension and making the car work. If you want your car to work like that all you need to do is test and get the set up right. I had a car in that event last year and went right down the track first two rounds, just have to know what the tires want.
If you need some help, I am local and would be able to give you a hand. My shop is in Schaumburg.
Thanks I may take you up on that some time !! You guys have a good reputation around here !! You guys helped build Brians black Nova correct ?

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is impressive. Even more so when you consider all the wrecks that happen at these power levels it'd be good insurance for those not competitively racing in organisations that ban it.

Brian will you or Steve do any testing comparing results from the Pro 2 x 12V output version, self learning and non self learning single 12Volt output versions against the MAP 0 -5v versions.
David I intend on getting the self learning unit as it seems more user friendly . I am sure that Steve will be able to give a break down on what he finds out between the three units . I think that you would probably need a data logger to be effective with the non self learning system , But I am just learning about this stuff myself so the more I find out the more I will be able to share .

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Thanks I may take you up on that some time !! You guys have a good reputation around here !! You guys helped build Brians black Nova correct ?
Thank you, we try real hard to make our customers happy and fast..

Yes I built the motor, and do the tuning on the car.
I would be happy to help you anyway I can, I love that car you have. I'm a sucker for Pontiacs.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I think I would feel like I had won the lottery, Steve offering assistance, 1 QuickBird offering assistance to get me down the track :)

It must be a very nice feeling, knowing that kind of support is avaiable to you on or near your door step :cool:

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I would feel like I had won the lottery, Steve offering assistance, 1 QuickBird offering assistance to get me down the track :)

It must be a very nice feeling, knowing that kind of support is avaiable to you on or near your door step :cool:
Yes , For sure I am fortunate !! That is why I love Yellow Bullet and the racing community !! Always someone nice enough to lend a helping hand when they can and I do appreciate it big time !!!

I WILL need the help to make my car KOTS worthy as it is kind of a bastard of cars . They way the build was there were alot of limitations that hinder performance . Had to keep the stock hood so I cant fit a killer head on the car because of height issues , Had to keep the factory interior which was a pain because weight and intercooler location is not ideal , I cant mini tub the car as I want to keep the factory plastics on the inside unmolested and I am not willing to have the car look like a roller skate in the back . So far I have only been able to race the car on an 8 inch wheel with a 275 /60/15 drag radial . But I guess the challenge of it all is what keeps me interested . If I made it easier on myself it would not be as much fun .

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Thanks Brian,
yes we are a dealer and i will be giving track support, my goal also is to see my customers going faster, heck I want to go faster! i am the king of odd ball one of a kind over powered radial cars! The davis is going to increase my learning curve since i dont have the time to do all the testing as a real racer does.
I would not say traction control is a crutch, some may use it as that but it should be used as a TUNING tool anything and I mean anything can be made better if thought out well and having the right data. Traction control saves passes ALONG with giving data to use to decrease your times. That is how I am approaching the davis traction control. Coupled with testing, testing and more testing you could take it off the car, you will have all your tune ups for different track conditions. But at that point the unit could just save a pass you did not have planed out perfect.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Steve that is a great way to look at it, and as tuners and racers I think that's the way we should look at it..

However, I think most people think they just slap it on and go fast. (not saying anyone in this thread thinks that)

-Steve

·
Registered
950 Posts
Here are a couple videos from the KING OF THE STREETS event this past weekend which is an event where you race 1/4 mile on an uprepped track off an instant green just like a street race would be . The temp was cold . In fact the last run race it was 39 degrees outside . Oh and did I mention the cars had to be on a drag radial, I forget what size limitation or a 28/10.5 /15 non W slick . The pot was $12,000 . Would be nice if I could make my car where I could run in this event after the install of the Davis Traction Control and some help from Steve:D. I have to assume some of these guys were using a Davis system .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7FwkrUzYw&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLzFWx_FHm8&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBhy3FCpVc&feature=player_embedded

Impressive for being on a unprepared cold track !!!!

Vader buddy , sorry to disappoint you but we do not have a Davis or any kind of traction control on our car . Only thing we use is a boost controller ( ams-1000)
THATS IT MAN ! !

We can not use any kind of traction stuff in the classes we run with that car .

Its all about how and were to manage power .

If you have any questions or dont believe us you can come by and look at the car yourself LOL :drinkers:

Neil Becker
847-613-8621
crewcheif of the KOTS winning car .

The car is a 2000 camaro 406cid 106 mm turbo .etc,etc

1 - 20 of 42 Posts