Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 4 yr. old Golden Retreiver "Charlie" has been a great pet. Up till now his only drawback was he liked to pull on the leash like crazy when we would take him for a walk. My fault as I did not walk him much as a puppy. Someone recommended a product called a "Gentle Leader" Just a special collar to use which turns the dogs head if he tries to pull on leash. We bought one and it is working fantastic! It is a painless way to control the dog and so far is working great. It is nice to not get catapulted out the front door when we leave the house anymore! The product comes with excellent written instructions and a DVD. Pretty much dummy proof. Thought I would share. Hope it helps someone else in the same ordeal!

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I found that if I took the time to learn how to teach my German Shepard Kozmo how to learn, then some things are cake. We're working on him sitting still while I place a piece of a hot dog on his nose until I let him have it. He's starting to get it, but it takes a while.

I learned long ago to watch his body language when he's on the leash. I found that he'll dip his head down before pulling on the leash. When he does that I give it a little tug and tell him no. Works like a charm. However, he forgets or decides he wants to be the boss sometimes... if he does not heed my instructions, I'll make him sit for a long time.

g

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
We used one for the first time when we took our 1 year old rescue Rottweiler to his first obedience class. It totally changed the dog after 10 minutes. I feel they are much more humane then a prong or a choker.The only down side is all the un educated people think it's a muzzle.

Keith

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sounds like something I could use(or my wife really). My Dane does ok when Im walking him but my wife can barely hold on when she is with him.

·
Troublemaker
4,626 Posts
Works like a bridle on a horse.
Yes, some dogs to not take to them. I tried it on one of mine years ago and all he did was drag his nose on the ground trying to get it off. I gave up on that and went with another method.

But I have seen plenty of dogs that it works very well for.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The gentle leader, does work well. But, in my case, I switched to the prong collar (I know, looks like some kind of Chinese torture), and now my walks are much more enjoyable. I'm walking a 3yo Lab and a 2yo Bloodhound, about 2 miles a day.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They call it a 10 min. attidude adjuster. And it is. My dog tried to paw it a few times. The video covers this. I just called him firmly and started to walk and he stopped the fussing. We have went on 2 x 1/2 hr. outings with it and so far it has worked well.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Sounds like something I could use(or my wife really). My Dane does ok when Im walking him but my wife can barely hold on when she is with him.
damn a dane,i'd buy a saddle and have your wife ride it instead of walking it.like a small horse.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The gentle leader, does work well. But, in my case, I switched to the prong collar (I know, looks like some kind of Chinese torture), and now my walks are much more enjoyable. I'm walking a 3yo Lab and a 2yo Bloodhound, about 2 miles a day.
I've owned a lab before and used a prong collar with him. I hated using it as it seemed harmful. But there is a big diff. in labs and goldens personality wise. I wouldn't know if the leader would have worked as well with my lab?

·
Registered
889 Posts
damn a dane,i'd buy a saddle and have your wife ride it instead of walking it.like a small horse.
LOL yeah I get that alot. If he was aggressive we would be in trouble, he really doesnt know how big he is. Hes just a big baby unless you are a cat or a squirrel.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Pinch or choke collars arent inhumane if used properly. I like to simplify things, ALL dog training and commands are based on HEEL. My labs are condtioned to a leash by 12 weeks and heel training starts. It isnt boot camp at that point but ten minutes twice a day and its cake. Even with pups you only need the 2' leash because the dog should be tight on your left knee. Frustrating to see people with stretch, retractable or even 5' leashes and wonder why their dog walks them. Short, quick corrections the second the dogs head gets away from the knee with the command 'HEEL' every time and its easy for both dog and owner. Now if you start later on an established dog it can be more challenging. My wifes lab started late and is somewhat headstrong and corrections with a choker wore me out faster than her so the pinch went on. This was much better as she realized that the corrections were uncomfortable so she quickly learned to stay the course where she was supposed to. I used the pinch for three days (six walks) and the choker went back on. Usually by sixteen to twenty weeks a pup can walk at heel off lead without too many distractions. A dog that will walk at heel, off lead in stressfull situations with destractions and not break is a dog you can work with to do anything. Some say that by teaching dogs to heal at such a young age caused them to not venture our on their own and be 'followers' instead of hunters. This may be true with some breeds but I have never experienced this with labs.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've owned a lab before and used a prong collar with him. I hated using it as it seemed harmful. But there is a big diff. in labs and goldens personality wise. I wouldn't know if the leader would have worked as well with my lab?
The Lab, responded well, at first, but developed the "rubbing the head on the ground and pawing at it" deal and I couldn't break him. He does well with the prong collar and I do not think it harms them.

I guess it is a matter, of how the dog is trained, from a young age. The Lab, wasn't really walked (on a leash), until he was 2yo.

And, BTW, I'm not knocking the Gentle Leader. I'm sure it is a great training tool, for some dogs.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Pinch or choke collars arent inhumane if used properly. I like to simplify things, ALL dog training and commands are based on HEEL. My labs are condtioned to a leash by 12 weeks and heel training starts. It isnt boot camp at that point but ten minutes twice a day and its cake. Even with pups you only need the 2' leash because the dog should be tight on your left knee. Frustrating to see people with stretch, retractable or even 5' leashes and wonder why their dog walks them. Short, quick corrections the second the dogs head gets away from the knee with the command 'HEEL' every time and its easy for both dog and owner. Now if you start later on an established dog it can be more challenging. My wifes lab started late and is somewhat headstrong and corrections with a choker wore me out faster than her so the pinch went on. This was much better as she realized that the corrections were uncomfortable so she quickly learned to stay the course where she was supposed to. I used the pinch for three days (six walks) and the choker went back on. Usually by sixteen to twenty weeks a pup can walk at heel off lead without too many distractions. A dog that will walk at heel, off lead in stressfull situations with destractions and not break is a dog you can work with to do anything. Some say that by teaching dogs to heal at such a young age caused them to not venture our on their own and be 'followers' instead of hunters. This may be true with some breeds but I have never experienced this with labs.
Great post!

I'll make sure to show this, to my wife, who can be my biggest problem, in teaching (yes, I said teaching, not training) our dogs. I have told her that the dogs should heel, but she says the walks are for the dogs and to let them enjoy it. I say they will enjoy it and us too, if they will listen to the basic commands.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Great post!

I'll make sure to show this, to my wife, who can be my biggest problem, in teaching (yes, I said teaching, not training) our dogs. I have told her that the dogs should heel, but she says the walks are for the dogs and to let them enjoy it. I say they will enjoy it and us too, if they will listen to the basic commands.

A dog thats trained to HEEL is just as excited to go for a walk as one thats ready to lead the owner around. Reason being that when this is learned and practiced to the point of habit it removes all stress from the situation. When a dog pulls an owner its always receiving some kind of correction, how much fun can that be? Not to mention the safety factor for both is way up over a dog that may pull away from its owner. For a dog thats trained to HEEL a leash isnt even necessary, of course many times they are required and that fine to use one BUT IT SHOULD NEVER BE TIGHT. I use 18" leads and they will be slack or there is a correction coming. I try everything but beating it into my wifes head to not let the leash get tight but she doesnt get it, she lets it get and stay tight and the dog has won. Get what im saying? I get it and THE DOGS GET IT because they know they can pull her. Keep things simple, slap your left knee and say HEEL, this should be your 'come' command as well. When a dog is away from you and you want him to come what do you want him to do? Heel of course, dont over complicate things. In the field when my dogs are hunting and they hear the HEE sound they respond by returning to me and sitting by my left knee. Simple

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
If you've never seen a Golden heeling in an obedience ring, you're missing out! That is the most excited, happy dog ever!!!

Just be careful with a real jumpy, lunging dog. Some dogs have had neck injuries with head harnesses.

·
Registered
863 Posts
A dog thats trained to HEEL is just as excited to go for a walk as one thats ready to lead the owner around. Reason being that when this is learned and practiced to the point of habit it removes all stress from the situation. When a dog pulls an owner its always receiving some kind of correction, how much fun can that be? Not to mention the safety factor for both is way up over a dog that may pull away from its owner. For a dog thats trained to HEEL a leash isnt even necessary, of course many times they are required and that fine to use one BUT IT SHOULD NEVER BE TIGHT. I use 18" leads and they will be slack or there is a correction coming. I try everything but beating it into my wifes head to not let the leash get tight but she doesnt get it, she lets it get and stay tight and the dog has won. Get what im saying? I get it and THE DOGS GET IT because they know they can pull her. Keep things simple, slap your left knee and say HEEL, this should be your 'come' command as well. When a dog is away from you and you want him to come what do you want him to do? Heel of course, dont over complicate things. In the field when my dogs are hunting and they hear the HEE sound they respond by returning to me and sitting by my left knee. Simple
I'm right with you, I just need to convince the wife, she just doesn't get it. I tell her to let me deal with the dogs and she comes right along behind me, doing the opposite.

Example. I walk the two of them, by myself, when she works nights. Never any problems. On the nights she is off, she walks with us. That is when they act the worst and I'm sure it is because "Mommy" is with us. Then she says to me, "why aren't they behaving for you". I get soooo agravated!

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I'm right with you, I just need to convince the wife, she just doesn't get it. I tell her to let me deal with the dogs and she comes right along behind me, doing the opposite.

Example. I walk the two of them, by myself, when she works nights. Never any problems. On the nights she is off, she walks with us. That is when they act the worst and I'm sure it is because "Mommy" is with us. Then she says to me, "why aren't they behaving for you". I get soooo agravated!

Common problem. It would be better for her to be involved as well but ONLY if she is going to do it the same as you. Differences cause confusion. Dont get me wrong and think im trying to raise soldiers, theres plenty of 'play' time for my dogs. When we arent hunting and there is a place for them to run I give the 'find bird' command and they can run bat shit all they want. Through experience they know that if im not armed and we arent in a typical hunting area its screw around all they want time. If we are hunting they know that 'find bird' means to quarter back and fourth out to thirty yards, in either situation HEEL brings them back, see simple. Less commands the better for all concerned.

I hope you dont have the wife situation as bad as a guy I know with a new Labradoodle ( I can hardly speak that word but to each his own). His wife coddles that dog like a baby to the point of being unbelievable probably because she's never had a child. the dog is totally out of control and when he tries any type of correction his wife flips out to the point that I think they will be divorced over that dog. Dog doesnt have a chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts