Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Not sure if anyone here would know this but here it goes!!

Im about ready to drop my motor in my 91 LX. Its a 408 with a pair of 70s. I was gonna run a forward mounted t/b. I was wondering what size cowl will I have to run with this set-up?
Also I plan to run the coldside up between the crank pully and the radiator and 90 it into the t/b. Any thoughts on this gonna work or not? The car is a street car with minus everything but the alt. , manual braks, steering, and electric water pump. hope that helps. Thanks, John

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
8" cowl, no really that would be a safe bet considering you didnt tell us what intake manifold, elbow, or throttle body.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8" cowl, no really that would be a safe bet considering you didnt tell us what intake manifold, elbow, or throttle body.

LoL, good point. Im running a Super vic intake with a elbow from Ghettosled at Race Proven motors and a 90mm Accufab T/B. Hoping to keep the hood as low as possable to keep good vison and more towards a street car look.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
i dont know for sure on yours but with mine i have a 8.2 deck funnel web intake and a carb/hat and i use a 5.5 inch hood and i had to cut a hole in it. you could do something like dave wolf or Mike Murillo

·
Registered
594 Posts
2.5" cowl at most if your elbow is a 110* and if its a 90* it doesn't matter how tall your cowl is it won't clear. Mine face toward the firewall and the stock hood would fit. Most of the cowls don't get tall until they are further back. Look at DMC's and Skinny Kid's hoods they ramp up quicker but are expensive.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
2.5" cowl at most if your elbow is a 110* and if its a 90* it doesn't matter how tall your cowl is it won't clear. Mine face toward the firewall and the stock hood would fit. Most of the cowls don't get tall until they are further back. Look at DMC's and Skinny Kid's hoods they ramp up quicker but are expensive.
a 110 facing forward will run DIRECTLY into the dist.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a 110 facing forward will run DIRECTLY into the dist.
That is true. Mines spaced to just clear the dist. It ramps down about an inch infront of it. Im also running oval tubing as well to save on height. I was looking at the Fibertrends as they seam to go right into a cowl fourm at the curve of the front .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
motors out for the next week to get broke in and ran on the dyno. I got 3 weeks before we run are True street car drags local. Theres a 11k purse so Im tryin to save some time and get a hood while the motors still out so I can run the car over to my uncles bodyshop to have it sprayed.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Well you can still measure. You just need to take a known reference point on the motor, motor plate or motor mount holes that correspond with the chassis. Measure to the top of the motor, then do the same off the matching point on the car. I built my entire turbo setup out of the car by using the motor plates as reference. Its probably the best way to garuntee fit. It would be a bitch to order a hood, then find out you need to cut it to gain something like 1/2" or on the flip side you end up with a hood thats 2" taller than needed when you want minimal view obstruction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts