Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anybody in here is running a forward facing hoodscoop on thier 4th gen camaro? I'm thinking about running one after reading that it helps alot in a N/A setup more than the regular Cowl induction hood.

it'll be my first Functional forward facing scoop and i'm trying to make sure that i do it the right way, it's 01 Camaro with a best of [email protected] N/A 427ci LS7 with PI intake and 4500 flange accufab TB, i already odered a VFN sunoco style hood and should get it in a week or so , and thinking about making it like this :

found this one also while searching:

one more of the same car:

the Question i have is the folowing : What exactly do i need other than the scoop and whats the best way to mount it ? ( i know i'll need a tray , but should i mount it to the throttle body or fab some brackets to mount it to the head? or should i bolt the tray to the scoop and mount both of them on the engine somehow? )
any picture will help and will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
there are few ways of doing it to either have the scoop stay on the car or come off with the hood. we spaced our tb up and put a "bell" on it. then ct the hole in the cowl hood and riveted the bell to the hood. then put the scoop over it. the bell sits flat on the tb and the hood makes the airpan. It was the easiet way for us to do it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Orange67 did u notice any gains after you put the scoop on? I realy want to put one on but only if there is any gains to be found :)....Appreciate any info

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot guys for the pics

do you guys prefer the open back hoodscoop or the closed one?

is it really true that at 170+ mph you will see ~2-2.5 PSI with a properly sealed scoop (my best was 146mph N/A)?!! ( i read that some where in the internet!)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did notice it picked about a tenth from the 6 inch cowl hood I had on it before. And stages much cleaner it was definitely worth changing over to the scoop.
thank you, i am really thinking i want to do it just haven't been able to talk to anyone that can say "yes i picked up"or no i didn't see much. And your car looks bad ...ty

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I was wondering if anybody in here is running a forward facing hoodscoop on thier 4th gen camaro? I'm thinking about running one after reading that it helps alot in a N/A setup more than the regular Cowl induction hood.

it'll be my first Functional forward facing scoop and i'm trying to make sure that i do it the right way, it's 01 Camaro with a best of [email protected] N/A 427ci LS7 with PI intake and 4500 flange accufab TB, i already odered a VFN sunoco style hood and should get it in a week or so , and thinking about making it like this :

found this one also while searching:

one more of the same car:

the Question i have is the folowing : What exactly do i need other than the scoop and whats the best way to mount it ? ( i know i'll need a tray , but should i mount it to the throttle body or fab some brackets to mount it to the head? or should i bolt the tray to the scoop and mount both of them on the engine somehow? )
any picture will help and will be highly appreciated.
Who makes these one piece scoops and hood? Would like to have one for a mustang.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They make kits that you can mount the scoop off of the motor plates. I have my scoop mounted to the fire wall in the back and in the front i have a bracket that comes off the the thermostat housing.

great looking car

·
Super Moderator
35,335 Posts
You need to strategically place the scoop on a single carb deal.... for it to be proper. I've prefer to use a scoop that is widely used in the comp eliminator crowd, because they have had the funds to R&D what works.... and typically the guy making the scoop will give up some information on what carb placement works best with that particular scoop.... it's not something you want to go into blind.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You need to strategically place the scoop on a single carb deal.... for it to be proper. I've prefer to use a scoop that is widely used in the comp eliminator crowd, because they have had the funds to R&D what works.... and typically the guy making the scoop will give up some information on what carb placement works best with that particular scoop.... it's not something you want to go into blind.
Interesting point.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update:

well, i've made a mistake ( a big one lol) and ordered the K&N scoop and didn't know that it's HUGE!!!

as i said before, this is my first time to think about putting a scoop and i didn't know which one to buy, SO, i went with the Carbon Fiber scoop to go faster lol

what do guys think? should i sell it and buy another one (smaller)?

Is there someting like " It's way too big for your 427ci"?

BTW it's making ~700-750 hp N/A. ( didn't dyno it but with th400 and 5500 stall it made ~600 rwhp).

·
Registered
563 Posts
thanks alot guys for the pics

do you guys prefer the open back hoodscoop or the closed one?

is it really true that at 170+ mph you will see ~2-2.5 PSI with a properly sealed scoop (my best was 146mph N/A)?!! ( i read that some where in the internet!)

A lot of you questions will be answered in the "What goes on inside the hoodscoop sealed up or vented" post. There is a velocity pressure chart in that thread that will let you figure out your pressure potential. 200 MPH is about .7 psi. or 1.4" hg.

Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines What Goes on Inside the Hood Scoop Sealed Up or Vent

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A lot of you questions will be answered in the "What goes on inside the hoodscoop sealed up or vented" post. There is a velocity pressure chart in that thread that will let you figure out your pressure potential. 200 MPH is about .7 psi. or 1.4" hg.
great information in that thread, your reply is very appreciated.

thank you

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ive tried to fab up a few. Most came came out poor. I finally went to this set up. Im sure its not optimal, but I can see the tree from either lane, I now have an airpan, and I can flip it backward once or twice a year when the forward scoop is prohibited.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the chance to fab the Huge scoop and Test the new setup and ran a new PB and got 1st place in (Street V8 class) but Not yet in the 8's :smt076

Do you guys think it's tooo big? i thought it looks fine but in the pictures IT IS HUGE!!! :rolleyes: as i said it's my First scoop ever, so it's not going to look great :(

Best run: (95 F)

1.29 60"
5.73 660
9.013 @ 150.45 mph

and ran another 9.02, 9.04 , the AFR in the PB run was 10.5-11.0 all the way, So we changed the tune and added a little 2 degree of timing , car boged and ran:

1.751 60"
6.35 660
9.62 @ 151 mph!! So i think it was an 8 sec pass

we will fix the tune issues and try again next month and hopefully we get the 8's that i've been waiting for 5 Years now :smt088

and to the Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_dYBpEFoo

Thanx every one for the great help :)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts